starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you overhead press/help needed with form issue

Default How much do you overhead press/help needed with form issue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This isn't an e-bragging thread, simply something I'm curious about.

I'm 5'8, 179lbs and I last pressed 42.5 KG / 93.5 lbs, and man did it feel hard (although no doubt has a lot to do with me losing weight at the moment)

How about you guys? I'm guessing that the numbers are a lot bigger than mine, I'm just curious to know by how much!

Also, I find that sometimes, at the top of the press, the weight seems to shift from my heels to my toes, prompting me to 'sway' forward slightly. Anyone ever dealt with this issue? I assume it's just a case of me needing to keep the bar closer to me, but if anyone else has dealt with this and found something else helped, please, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I'm 5'8", 166 lbs today. 2 days ago I pressed 100 lbs, after I had been stuck at 95 lbs and resetting twice.

What helped me was getting some 1 lb ankle weights so that, after I reset back to 85 lbs, I could microload. Before my jumps were 5 lbs instead of 2 - 3 lbs.

My body goes a little forward at the top, too. I think it's supposed to at lockout.

I had the same problem with my presses, and I asked a general programming question in this thread in the Programming sub-forum:

Mixed novice / intermediate program?

Rob Is had very good advice for me in posts #3, especially #8, and see the last paragraph is #24.

5'3", 170lb here. Doing ~123x5x5 today. Never having been an active person before lifting, I found that a bit of weight gain really helped my press, with my last jump (from a slim 152 to a chunky 170) having noticeably bulked up my shoulder girdle (presses were main upper body lift during this time). At 5'8"/179, you might see similar things happen if you eat a bit more.

As far as shifting to the toes, this is typically due to having pushed the bar too far forward. Make sure you are getting your head out of the way, rather than pushing the bar around your head. A bit of laxity in the hips or low back can also allow the torso to lean forward, so make sure you stay tight.

presses are a bitch, i have been consistently stuck at 120lbs. Have been eating alot more now, hopefully it'll let me to push past this obstacle. 5'10 / 178 I -have- pressed 140 for a single before, but that was quite an epic battle between the forces of good and evil. (old gym the bar was 50lbs so it's just one plate)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    ...I'm 5'8, 179lbs and I last pressed 42.5 KG / 93.5 lbs, and man did it feel hard ...
    Presses are hard. They are supposed to be hard. If you are new it will take a bit for the whole system to get solid enough to lock everything down as you press and to allow the presses to progress at a steady pace. Be sure to alternate bench and overhead work along the way. Microloading is your friend. With decent programming (I didn't look for your log, sorry) you'll keep moving up and reach a point where you will be pretty steady with your gains for a long while.

(180x5x3 is my latest volume press day, 235 max single.)

I press 200lb. It's a pretty great feeling. I presume 225 will be even better.

5'8, 160 lb female.

105 lbs for a single.

Quote Originally Posted by ktang View Post
    I'm 5'8", 166 lbs today. 2 days ago I pressed 100 lbs, after I had been stuck at 95 lbs and resetting twice.

What helped me was getting some 1 lb ankle weights so that, after I reset back to 85 lbs, I could microload. Before my jumps were 5 lbs instead of 2 - 3 lbs.

My body goes a little forward at the top, too. I think it's supposed to at lockout.

I had the same problem with my presses, and I asked a general programming question in this thread in the Programming sub-forum:

Mixed novice / intermediate program?

Rob Is had very good advice for me in posts #3, especially #8, and see the last paragraph is #24.
    Gain. Some. Weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Gain. Some. Weight.
    Your blunt attitude on the internet makes me want to meet you in person. If I'm ever anywhere remotely close to North Carolina I'm coming to train at your gym. I'll bring my wolf shirt.

starting strength coach development program
    6'1, ~174lbs, 135lb 5RM on the press.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast