starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: muscle ups

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    i thought rings make everything harder, they are to the monkey bars what dumbbells are to the barbell

I think the stability on the press out is harder (not by much, if you're used to it), but the transition is easier because the bar can get in the way and the movement starts as a chin up rather than a pull-up. I don't know how best to qualify which is harder, though; any gymnasts in here?

Im an ex gymnast.

Like I said, rings are alot easier. You can take a grip where the rings are sitting sort of on your wrists, which makes the transition alot easier, then its a simple dip to get up.

Bar muscle-ups are one of my long term goals. If you can do them, you can surmount almost any obstacle you can get your hands onto.

Quote Originally Posted by nkelman View Post
    Im an ex gymnast.

Like I said, rings are alot easier. You can take a grip where the rings are sitting sort of on your wrists, which makes the transition alot easier, then its a simple dip to get up.
    False grip.

Eric K, it probably is the transition point. I've never thought about pulling up to my nipples. Should give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by nkelman View Post
    Im an ex gymnast.

Fair enough. I just tried; I don't think I can do it on a bar without the kip.

Savage, good luck.

I can do the ugliest muscle up ever known to man on a bar. Never tried rings, but once when I tried to do a ring dip it felt massively unstable to me and I couldn't pull it off. I am wondering if I didn't try hard enough based on it apparently being so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    I can do the ugliest muscle up ever known to man on a bar. Never tried rings, but once when I tried to do a ring dip it felt massively unstable to me and I couldn't pull it off. I am wondering if I didn't try hard enough based on it apparently being so easy.
    That's the thing. A DIP on the rings is going to be harder than a dip on bars because the stability you get from the stiff bar is not there with the rings.

A muscle up on rings is going to be EASIER than a muscle up on a bar because of the mobility of the rings and the way it lets you use a natural grip throughout the whole movement.

It is possible to do a slow smooth muscle up without the need for kipping.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by summers View Post
    It is possible to do a slow smooth muscle up without the need for kipping.
    It probably helps to be one of the better gymnasts who has ever lived though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast