starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure when to start using a belt...

Default Not sure when to start using a belt...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Good day,

I'm a little confused about when to start using a belt. I know it help with the support etc but how do you know when you should start to use one? I'm squatiing 225lbs now and tomorrow I'm going up to 260lbs on my deadlift. Press is going up to 110lbs this weekend.
    I want to use a beld for the deadlift, but not sure if I should. I haven't progressed as I would like so I'm focussing on that now. When I do DL, it is becoming harder to keep the low back straigt.

Thanks guys

Keep your abdominals super strong and you have a natural belt.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Good day,

I'm a little confused about when to start using a belt. I know it help with the support etc but how do you know when you should start to use one? I'm squatiing 225lbs now and tomorrow I'm going up to 260lbs on my deadlift. Press is going up to 110lbs this weekend.
    I want to use a beld for the deadlift, but not sure if I should. I haven't progressed as I would like so I'm focussing on that now. When I do DL, it is becoming harder to keep the low back straigt.

Thanks guys
    I would start now. There is no reason why you can't use a belt.

First, the belt does not "support", it gives you something to brace against so you create more internal pressure, and therefore forcing you to contract your muscles harder. (Hope I got that right, don't have the book on me)

When to use one? I don't believe there is any set rule of thumb on when to wear one. In the interview with Mark Rippetoe, Capt. Kirk Karwoski said he didn't get a belt until he squatted 700lbs. I didn't feel like waiting that long, so I got when when I was squatting around the mid 200s. Don't wear it for everything, just working sets, and maybe the last warm up (in regards to squats).

But don't think a belt is some kind of magic pill to get your lifts up. If you have a form, nutrition, rest, or recovery problem, a belt isn't going to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
    But don't think a belt is some kind of magic pill to get your lifts up. If you have a form, nutrition, rest, or recovery problem, a belt isn't going to fix that.
    My belt has rocket booster assist on it... will that help a little? :-)

Okay but sorry for the dumb question now...

If you use a belt, isn't it like cheating? Putting more stress on your body than you can naturally handle? For instance, at what point should you wear a belt because you already have strong abs and need more support or should you wait and work on your form/lumbar tension because you can still lift without a belt with practise?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
    First, the belt does not "support", it gives you something to brace against so you create more internal pressure, and therefore forcing you to contract your muscles harder. (Hope I got that right, don't have the book on me)

When to use one? I don't believe there is any set rule of thumb on when to wear one. In the interview with Mark Rippetoe, Capt. Kirk Karwoski said he didn't get a belt until he squatted 700lbs. I didn't feel like waiting that long, so I got when when I was squatting around the mid 200s. Don't wear it for everything, just working sets, and maybe the last warm up (in regards to squats).

Thanks man. Yeah sorry I couldn't find the right word. brace is better.
    So for my poor 225lbs squat and 250/260 DL it's too early? I'm not sure how to judge whent to start.

Get a belt whenever you want. Or not. When, and if, you use one is entirely up to you. Belts definitely add pounds (or reps) to your lifts, but how much depends on how strong your core is. And to echo what JV said, using a belt won't save you from bad form.

Quote Originally Posted by Trei View Post
    Get a belt whenever you want. Or not. When, and if, you use one is entirely up to you. Belts definitely add pounds (or reps) to your lifts, but how much depends on how strong your core is. And to echo what JV said, using a belt won't save you from bad form.
    I've gotten some good comments on my squats but now that's heavier I'll have to post another vid. The belt is more for DL. When I pick it off the floor, I have to really focus on my abs otherwise ti feelst like they "push out", don't know how to explain it. Like they are unstable or something. With that I'm scared because the DL start when I'm almost horizontal. So I'm scared my low back will get hurt at some point. I'm 6'4" not sure if that's why I'm horizontal.
    If the belt will help me I'll use it. I squeeze the shit out of my abs but on the 4th rep or so I get tired and feel a difference in the tension in my abs.

starting strength coach development program
    From what I've seen, most peoples' squats seem to get more out of a belt than their deadlifts. The same holds true for me, though I'm not sure how to quantify it. I just know that my belt helps my squats more than my deads.

As for your core... are you using the valsalva maneuver? Taking a big breath (as much into your stomach as you can, rather than letting your shoulders rise) and tense the everliving hell out of your entire core. The belt will help, but it sounds to me more like a form or fatigue issue. Take a couple of breaths before your fourth rep if you have to.

How horizontal your upper body is doesn't really have too much to do with how tall you are so much as it does your proportions. For instance, this is my deadlift as I break off the floor:

Shit sucks. Some people got handed the short end of the stick when it comes to some lifts. Just gotta keep at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast