starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories & Fat Gain

Default Calories & Fat Gain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Gday Mark,

First of all, great book & DVD! Simple and effective no bullshit advice.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question. I have been following SS for 3 months, only eating "properly" for 1.5 months which is where ive made lifting gains.

I am now concerned with the amount of fat developing on my stomach.

Im 6ft and 193lb now, was 180lb. 13lb gain in 5 weeks from eating approx 3200 calories a day.

My waist size is increasing, my 34inch pants are now very tight around waist, arse & legs. Im concerned that my waist is increasing with fat (i think im around 16-20% body fat as a wild guess).

Should i decrease carb in take therefore decreasing calories?

I have been doing so much internet research which is bloody confusing me.

I want to increase my lifts, gain muscle & become more toned. Is this possible?

Thanks
    Max

a) hi.

b) http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=15737

c) Really... this whole SS vs body composition vs calories has been talked to death around here. Just read some of the discussions. Short short version (and w/ my tilt) you basically have to do cycles of light-bulking and cutting while trying to maintain your strength. Your waist thighs and ass will all grow on SS from muscle (in addition to fat) so you'll need new pants anyway.

d) you will find that the word "toned" doesn't go over too well around here (for good reason).

Where are your lifts now and have you been stalling?

If you're making your 5 lbs every workout you might have some room to cut carbs or reduce calories. You will risk a stall though. It's really your call.

i have been eating 3000+ calories for 5 weeks now. put on 5.5kgs. lifts are increasing squat is 90kg, dead 80kg & bench 50kg (now have elbow tendonitis). but yes each workout im increasing 2.5kg.
    i will cut back and see what happens.

How clean are you eating?

a usual day is as follows:
    breakfast: 2 eggs, 5 eggs whites, 2 peice of wholegrain toast, 50g oats in water, banana, black coffee, half tea spoon of raw sugar, yakult
    brunch: peanut butter sandwich (low fat/low salt) wholegrain bread, max's weight gainer shake with half teaspoon creatine
    lunch: scotch fillet steak 200g, 1 cup broccoli with sometimes half cup brown rice
    afternoon: apple, 95g tuna in springwater, 1 cup lettuce
    dinner: 200g chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup sweet potato
    after: max's weight gainer shake with half teaspoon creatine

im 6ft 88kg at around 16-17% body fat (estimate) ( a little fluffy around stomach)

now lifting 105kg squat (231lb) and dead 110kg press 35kg bench 50kg (tendonitis) clean 30kg (just started cleans)

you could drop your calories on non lifting days, I don't know what is in those weight gainer shakes but I wouldn't be suprised if its a lot of simple carbs, so you could drop them/replace with food on lifting days.

What's with the low-fat peanut butter? Drop the weight gainer and get real PB, assuming that "max's weight gainer shake" doesn't refer to some home-made, whole food concoction.

here is the protein drink. i take 2 scoops twice a day in 350ml of water.
    http://www.maxs.com.au/index.php?sec...82&pageID=4211

and here is the peanut butter i eat:
    http://www.sanitarium.com.au/product...ed-salt-smooth

would the creatine make much of a difference? Im taking just less than 5mg a day.
    oh and im eating approx 2700 - 2900 calories a day. i was on 3200 but felt so bloated all day

cheers for input

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by maxde1 View Post
    here is the protein drink. i take 2 scoops twice a day in 350ml of water.
    http://www.maxs.com.au/index.php?sec...82&pageID=4211

and here is the peanut butter i eat:
    http://www.sanitarium.com.au/product...ed-salt-smooth

would the creatine make much of a difference? Im taking just less than 5mg a day.
    oh and im eating approx 2700 - 2900 calories a day. i was on 3200 but felt so bloated all day

cheers for input
    Even the container looks gay. Jesus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast