starting strength gym

Thread: Time for advanced novice?

Default Time for advanced novice?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a 36yo male and I've been doing SS for about 8 weeks. I've gotten to a point where my initial big gains are slowing for squats, bench, and shoulder press (though I have more big gains left in me for DL and PC, I think).

If I'm comprehending Practical Programming, it seems I should consider replacing the middle set of squats 80% loading back squats to keep the linear gains in low bar back squats going as long as I can. Also, adding in back raises and chin-ups is in my immediate future.

I'm weak as can be on my chin-ups (I can get 3/4 of a single chin-up) so I'm doing hangs. The plan is to do hang/descending chins every workout until I can do around 5 regular chin-ups then I'll do every other workout. Question, should I keep them at every workout until I get to 10 or 15 instead?

So is this plan sensible? Will it carry me through until I reach intermediate level? Am I missing something or misunderstanding something from PP?

Stats in case you need them:

36, 6'3", 235lbs
    Squat 180lbs
    Bench 145lbs
    Press 105lbs
    DL 200lbs

You've got a lot more squat before you need to make that switch. A lot more of all of it. Just keep cruising for another 8 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, I get it, I wasn't on the program. Specifically, I need to eat better and sleep better. I went up in weight 5lbs on squats as directed today and will keep doing so until I get crushed to a bloody pulp under the bar (or until I reach nearly 300 goddamned pounds in the squat and get well and truly stuck as Rip says I must).

Got a vasectomy coming up. They say I'm supposed to take a 2 week break but I'm guessing will be more like 7 to 10 days, but we'll see. Should I repeat the workout that came previous when I get back to the gym? Should I go down in weight? Should I say fuck it and keep the gains coming?