starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This video is of my 3rd set at 130lbs. I originally attempted 135lbs and missed the 5th rep.

http://youtu.be/bccBZxxTAe4

This is the first time I've looked at my press on video. There are a lot of areas to improve. I obviously am not moving my hips forward much at all and I had no idea I was performing that stupid little knee dip.

I see my bar path isn't great....I'm thinking maybe I reduce the load and get the hip movement down before attempting to move forward...thoughts?

Be sure to enjoy listening to Jewel while viewing the video. The Pilates class gets control of the stereo when they are in session.

Yeah, you are getting a little assist from the knees in that video. Squeeze your quads and lock your knees in extension. I take it by your comments that you would like to do the press 2.0?

In my mind's eye, I was moving my hips more than I actually am. I'm not too worried about the method as long as said method is correct and I'm able to progress. I have never felt strong when I press. I worked up to 135 3x5 before a surgery on my forearm shut me down around the time of my meniscus procedure. I started working my press again the same time I went to work on my squat and have progressed steadily until my failed set at 135 the day of the video.

Ignoring the fact I thought I was performing 2.0, how does everything else look?

I think I'll go study the Platform vid and contemplate my existence.....

Aside from your knees, the press looks fine. It's just a strict-ish version of it. I actually filmed one of my trainees doing the press 2.0. Look for it when I finish all the other shit I am way behind on.