starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lanky Men Powerlifting

Trent Bologna Guest

Question Lanky Men Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Before I start out I want to say that I'm not making excuses or anything like that. However, most of us are aware that having the right physique and body proportions are very large determinants to lifting a heavy weight. IMO there's a typified weightlifter physique and (with some notable exceptions) the best WLs look very similar. Powerlifters, on the other hand, tend to vary a little more because optimal body segment proportions for benching/squatting and deadlifting are somewhat antithetical. So you'll see guys on the whole spectrum. But being tall is never an advantage. Take two people who are the same in every other way but height; the shorter one will always lift more than the taller one. The same is true for the mass of the lifter. A heavier lifter who is the same in all other regards will always be stronger than a lighter lifter. It's interesting to me that there are weight classes but no height classes in powerlifting. This distinction should be mostly arbitrary IMO. I think a tall lanky lifter could be just as impressive as 148lbs lifter even though both of these athletes have suboptimal builds for lifting the most weight with no restrictions.

So what's strong for a tall/lanky guy? Say you're. . . oh IDK like 6'2" and 180lbs what's a good deadlift? What's very good?

I think most people here would say that the 6'2", 180 lb guy needs to eat a sandwich or two. What you say about height is very true... the 5'6" 180 lb guy has some mechanical advantages over the 6'2" guy. To overcome that, Mr. 6'2" probably needs to be upwards of 240+ lbs to be lifting comparable weight.

In that regard, a 6'2", 180 lb powerlifter is a bit of an oxymoron, the same way a 6'2", 180 lb offensive lineman would be.

I don't think I can answer the question of "what's strong" for a taller, skinnier athlete. As it stands now, any 180 lb athlete is going to be judged the same, whether they are 5'2" or 6'7". Yes, you can be strong and lean. But it's not easy.

I've seen a 6'1 181 guy pull 601. The taller you are, the more you're going to need to weigh to maximize your leverages.

There are very strong 5'8-6'2 181 powerlifters, but they are not the world champions. The world champs are 5'4-5'6. As you go up in weight classes, people get taller. There is an inflection point where adding mass simply does not add appreciable weight to the lifts because your leverages actually aren't any better and your positioning/technique sucks.

Being tall can be an advantage for strength sports.

However, being and tall AND skinny is NEVER advantageous for strength sports.

Trent Bologna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    In that regard, a 6'2", 180 lb powerlifter is a bit of an oxymoron, the same way a 6'2", 180 lb offensive lineman would be.
    Don't you think 6'2" 180lbs OL would be impressive even if he was only average against guys 100lbs heavier? Forget about the sandwich. What would he have to pull off the floor to raise eyebrows?

Trent Bologna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I've seen a 6'1 181 guy pull 601.
    You know his other lifts? Might get to 601 natty.

Trent Bologna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Why would anyone be impressed by average?
    What about a 300lbs white man running 100m in 10.5s? Not impressive either? Get the fuck out. I guess you missed the point I made in the OP about weight classes. Thanks doe.

I think a 6'2 180 pounder with a 700 deadlift would be impressive. What kind of vertical leap would be impressive for a 6'2 180 pounder though, Caca, I mean Trent?

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Bologna View Post
    Don't you think 6'2" 180lbs OL would be impressive even if he was only average against guys 100lbs heavier? Forget about the sandwich. What would he have to pull off the floor to raise eyebrows?
    The same as any other 180 lb man... mid to upper 500's.

starting strength coach development program
    Depends on who's eyebrows we are talking about here.

Basically this hypothetical 180lb 6'2" guy just wants to be significantly stronger than he looks?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast