starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on height and lifting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward View Post
    It's not fucking hard to squat 405. Jesus Christ.
    YES! a thousand times this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    198 cm tall 6.6
    Bw around 110 kg
    Age 35

Press 97.5 kg
    Bench 140 kg
    Squat 206 kg
    Deadlift 256 kg

After just above 2 years of lifting following 10 years of running.
    Those are some big numbers. Alot of motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yes, things that are worth doing tend to be really hard. But doing hard things with your attitude is pretty much impossible.

What you need to do is look for the reasons you can do something, not the reasons you can't.

Or you can sit on the couch, eat ice cream, watch Oprah, and feel sorry for yourself. In today's world, those are the only two choices we get.
    Original post was a question that's it. I made a comment about eating on a deficit and gaining strength. Impossible was the wrong word to use, like I said. Rip says himself the CNS/recovery gets affected if you don't eat enough and keep pushing weight. You're reading into my post way too much. I asked since I'm not an experienced lifter like most of you and wanted to know what other tall lifters experienced.

I don't see any complaining on my part other than you're assumption on the 3rd post saying I'm looking for excuses. And my comment about throwing my back out and how my brain fucks with me when I pull. It's stupid and not necessary but it fucks with me. I just focus really fucking hard on my back and squeezing.

Other than that other replies were awesome and answered my questions so not checking back. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by depictureboy View Post
    I'm sure this guy would argue that point
    http://laughingsquid.com/actor-hafth...ts-994-pounds/
    He used straps, that's like a monolift for the deadlift. Doesn't count.

I love all these guys jumping down grand666's throat about the calorie deficit thing. You all know that in the next thread some guy starts about doing SS on a deficit to lose weight you will all be in there yelling at him to DTP.

Grand - have you tried carb restricted diets? Paleo worked well for me, in terms of limiting bodyfat, allowing strength increases, and generally making me feel better. I know everyone's on the paleo-is-stupid and gluten-free-is-bullshit bandwagon now, but I'm still a big believer in the principle of restricting grains and carbs to in or around training. Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    He used straps, that's like a monolift for the deadlift. Doesn't count.
    I guess all his strongman places don't count either?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haf%C...Bj%C3%B6rnsson

The question was about a really tall man not being able to lift really heavy. Granted hafthors an outlier. But still

Just another post of motivation here, grand. My brother is 6'3" and got over 400lbs on his LP 3x5 weighing less than 200lbs, so there's hope. I think the levers argument is blown out of proportion.

Levers absolutely make a difference, some people have to work harder at certain lifts than others. At 6'1" and given my anthropometry, my pressing strength is greater than my squatting strength when compared to others in my weight range (242lb). There's also the genetic factor that is mighty important. The crucial factor, I see, is that you keep improving and stop with the negative BS - as if we don't have enough of that already. Use others progress to fuel your own motivation and don't let it get you down, if it does then cut it out of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Gaining weight on the bar with a restricted calorie diet is not possible. Anyone on this forum will tell you that
    Jordan wouldn't, if you're carrying a lot of body fat. Neither would Tom Navraez. And they both know a lot more about it than most people here.

Check out Derf's log. He's taller than you, weighs about the same and squats c.450 / pulls c.550. You've made amazing progress with your body comp mate - don't let your height be an excuse to stop pushing the weight on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    Jordan wouldn't, if you're carrying a lot of body fat. Neither would Tom Navraez. And they both know a lot more about it than most people here.

Check out Derf's log. He's taller than you, weighs about the same and squats c.450 / pulls c.550. You've made amazing progress with your body comp mate - don't let your height be an excuse to stop pushing the weight on the bar.
    With a 565 pull, I'd appreciate c 560... ; )

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    With a 565 pull, I'd appreciate c 560... ; )
    It'll probably be c.580 by the end of the month anyway..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast