starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belt use?

Default Belt use?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    You guys using a belt? I'm not but I'm just now moving from novice toward intermediate. Have you found it helps a lot? Got a make and model you really like?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    You guys using a belt? I'm not but I'm just now moving from novice toward intermediate. Have you found it helps a lot? Got a make and model you really like?
    Search function fail, Steve. We'll forgive it this one time.

Most of us are big believers in the belt's ability to make the lifter stronger than lifting without using the belt. And most of us are advocates of the Best Belt Athlete 4" for most normal-sized people, at least for squats, while some may need a narrower belt for the deadlift.

www.bestbelts.net

There are other very nice belts out there. Bob's Belts, for instance. One poster around here seems to prefer them, but you'll find nothing but glowing reviews of the Best Belt, and the price is a bit friendlier.

Thanks, and good point on the search function.

I use a belt for squats and deadlifts during my last warmup set and then my worksets. The belt I use is nothing special, a velcro belt I picked up at Dick's several years ago. It works for me right now.

I only use a belt for top work sets, and sometimes not even then. Having really good ab strength is the real best belt. (See what I did there?)

Took me a long time to get a belt, now that I have one my squat weight went up while the effort went down. Took me even longer to invest in shoes, now I feel like an immovable object fixed to the ground and my squats improved. Less wobble. More direct force. I'm injured so pushing volume not load, but the difference is significant and I know it will translate to load when my shoulder returns to 100%. My take, at about 6 months into this, everyone should commit to $200 worth of one-time purchase and go for your goals knowing you've put everything in place to succeed. Don't waste a day of LP without it.

Get the belt, and make it a Best Belt - everybody here recommends them. You can go the shit velcro Harbinger-type route, but that'll get you 6 months down the road before it starts to make you unhappy that you spent 25 bucks on it.

I looked at the Best Belts but I don't have a clue which model to purchase. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs and gaining. . Oh 31" waist if that makes a difference.

Suggestions on which belt model?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I looked at the Best Belts but I don't have a clue which model to purchase. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs and gaining. . Oh 31" waist if that makes a difference.

Suggestions on which belt model?
    Athlete 4" rust

starting strength coach development program
    Another endorsement for Best Belts. I have the Athlete 4"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast