starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people like to use racks constructed with 3x3 tube?

Question Why do people like to use racks constructed with 3x3 tube?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Whether you want 3x3 or 2x2 the gauge is the same. I am not an engineer (IANAE) but is there a meaningful difference structurally? Looks like Dan Green does all his work in a 2x2. In general 2x2 racks have better hole spacing and you get an extra inch on each side of the collars to play with if you're a big dawg and like a wide grip. I also like the slimmer lines aesthetically on the 2x2. And they're about $500 cheaper. That's a lot of advantages for me. So is there any reason to buy a 3x3 or is this just a gimmick to sell more steel?

Cuz that shit better be bomb proof for maximum eliteness

Edit: and torque

With my weights, I could probably get by with 1x1, and fat stack the benjies.

You forgot to mention 7 gauge vs 11 gauge. The superficial answer is because 3x3 7 ga racks are fucking awesome. The actual answer is more nuanced than that.

In general, drop-in racks are all 3x3. This has to do with the room required for the slotted steel. The answer for the smaller racks was the swing-in safety. The drop-in is still superior, but the difference is much smaller between drop-in vs swing-in than it is in drop-in vs sabers/pin&pipe.

As to spacing, I think 1" spacing is a pain in the ass. 2" throughout is optimal. This is easier to accomplish with standard holes as seen on most 2x2 and 2x3 racks. Most 3x3 drop-ins are either 3" or 4" spacing. Some, like my Nebula, have 2" throughout via creative construction methods. The best option is actually Rae Crowther and their off-set 1.5" spacing via tear-drop holes. Genius.

Finally, bigger/heavier racks are more stable than smaller/lighter racks. Even more so if you add weight storage. My rack doesn't flex at all with my mono-lift attachment (which gives me more room between "uprights" than standard j-hooks on a 2x2 rack, btw) and is easier to adjust on a drop-in style rack than the smaller, more standard design.

In short, go big or go home.

OP checking in. Just want to put out a memo that Mr. Tuschscherscherer trains out of a 2x2 rack also. I'll post more updates as I get them; stay tuned.

Hold on--I'm getting this second or third hand but according to my information Dave Tate says 2x2 is probably stronger than 3x3

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    OP checking in. Just want to put out a memo that Mr. Tuschscherscherer trains out of a 2x2 rack also. I'll post more updates as I get them; stay tuned.
    The original Westside racks are 2x2 also. Doesn't mean that is your only or best choice.

Hondas get awesome gas mileage and last a long time. They still make/sell Mercedes et all.

People don't really buy cars to get from point A to point B. It's quite a different object of material culture. A power rack should only be functional or at least that's my philosophy on weightroom aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    People don't really buy cars to get from point A to point B. It's quite a different object of material culture. A power rack should only be functional or at least that's my philosophy on weightroom aesthetics.
    You don't think people show off in the gym? Have you seen the boom in gym apparel with crossfit?

I mentioned two reasons someone might prefer a 3x3. It's not all cosmetic.

starting strength coach development program
    Sort of on a side tangent, how much was the monolift attachment for the power rack? I am looking for home gym options, and normal power racks are tough for me since I take a wide grip. I currently squat out of a monolift for that reason, but I always walk it out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast