starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My first squat check feedback from the technique section of the forum noted that my stance was too wide and prevented proper hip drive from the squat reflex, and this is my third time squatting after that feedback.
    I have a Rogue 2.0 bar that's smooth in the middle, and I'm not sure if that's what's causing the bar to slide, but the bar seems to slide a little down my back every time I squat.

Squat 285x5 - YouTube

Thank you for your feedback!

Well, the good news is that 285 looks light for you. The video is shot from the front oblique, which is a tougher angle from which to do form checks. However, you need to get your knees out a little harder and work to keep the bar over the middle of your foot. Sometimes you are lifting your chest instead of staying with your hips, but I think that corresponds to when you let the bar get forward a little. You will benefit from some proper weightlifting shoes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Well, the good news is that 285 looks light for you. The video is shot from the front oblique, which is a tougher angle from which to do form checks. However, you need to get your knees out a little harder and work to keep the bar over the middle of your foot. Sometimes you are lifting your chest instead of staying with your hips, but I think that corresponds to when you let the bar get forward a little. You will benefit from some proper weightlifting shoes, too.
    Should I point my toes out at a wider angle to get my knees farther out?

I just searched previous forum posts for weightlifting shoes recommendations. Looks like Nike Romaleos, Adidas Powerlift 2.0, and Adidas Adipower weightlifting shoes are supposed to be good. What do you recommend?

What would be a better angle for the video? The link in the stickie said a 45 degree angle was preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulKelly View Post
    Should I point my toes out at a wider angle to get my knees farther out?
    Nope, leave your toes where they are, unless you are naturally duck-footed. Just drive your knees out a little more.

I just searched previous forum posts for weightlifting shoes recommendations. Looks like Nike Romaleos, Adidas Powerlift 2.0, and Adidas Adipower weightlifting shoes are supposed to be good. What do you recommend?
    If you have the money, get the Romaleos. Best shoes out there at the moment, albeit rather pricey. Be prepared for them to be warm and uncomfortable. They do break in, however. The Powerlifts are not really lifting shoes. They are an inexpensive hybrid shoe that gives you a stiffer sole, yet can be used for rope climbs and other CrossFit/mixed modal workouts. They have EVA in the midsole and squish a little. The Adipowers are nice and also very expensive. They are narrowly lasted and have a bizarrely narrow toebox. Much lighter and more flexible than the Romaleos, yet still very supportive. The Reebok Lifter Plus 2.0s are also incompressible and have a wide toe box. Haven't worn them myself and they are unbelievably ugly, but they seem to meet the criteria for a good shoe. I need to get off my ass and write the article I have brewing about shoes. This is a common question.

What would be a better angle for the video? The link in the stickie said a 45 degree angle was preferred.
    Thirty to forty five-degrees from the side shot from the posterior instead of the anterior aspect is the best.

I went ahead and ordered the romaleos but somehow forgot to wear my chucks on my last squat workout. I'm trying hard to push my knees farther out but it doesn't feel like they are moving out any farther. I'm still struggling with the bar moving forward, however, that may have been the crappy shoes.

Squats 305x5 - YouTube

The main reason I wanted to post this video is because my wrist and inside of my elbow were hurting pretty bad after my last set of squats. I went ahead and watched the video on bar grip after my workout, and I think my grip is too wide and possibly the bar a little too low.

Thoughts?

starting strength coach development program
    Your squats are a little high and almost every one of them were a little different. Could be your shoes. However, really work to drive up with your hips all the way to the top. You lift your chest too much, especially on the second half of the ascent. Bar may be a little too low on your back. Tough to say. Also make sure you are not trying to bend the bar across your back. You start with your elbows too high, but that fixes itself as your set goes on. Mess around with the normal grip variations that I detailed in a recent thread and see if that helps.