starting strength gym

Thread: Complete Beginner At Deadlift

Default Complete Beginner At Deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi coaches,

I recently posted a video of my squat and got a decent review, with only a few minor issues to be addressed. However, I feel like I am completely clueless when it comes to the deadlift. I have made my best effort to follow the 5 steps as outlined in the sticky, but I seem to be unable to set my back properly nor find the middle of my foot when deadlifting. It seems to me that when I try to set my upper back and "point my nipples at the wall", I merely rock back onto my heels and often push the bar forward. I don't seem to be able to do this correctly and I feel a bit embarrassed posting this video:

Deadlift setup - YouTube

I know I am supposed to post a set of 5, but the last time I did a set of 5 my back did not feel exactly great the next day. So I thought I would just show my initial setup and go from there.

P.S. I am using a crappy CAP barbell, but am planning to get the B&R bar soon.

Definitely need to see a set of five. Find a working weight and pull it from the floor. Don't look forward quite so much. Don't take so long down there. Avoid pushing the bar forward with your shins immediately prior to your pull.