starting strength gym

Thread: Sharp pain in IT Band

Default Sharp pain in IT Band

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My wife is just starting SS, and after getting to 50lbs on the squat she is experiencing sharp pain in both legs along her IT band while squatting (along the entire band). She's naturally delivered 4 kids, so if she says the pain is sharp, it is. She has no problems whatsoever during the deadlift.

She tried just doing air squats her last workout, and she said the pain was still sharp along the IT bands. Will foam rolling and applying pressure with a tennis ball along the IT band multiple times a day help? Any idea why the pain is sharp when squatting, but non-existent when deadlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    My wife is just starting SS, and after getting to 50lbs on the squat she is experiencing sharp pain in both legs along her IT band while squatting (along the entire band). She's naturally delivered 4 kids, so if she says the pain is sharp, it is. She has no problems whatsoever during the deadlift.

She tried just doing air squats her last workout, and she said the pain was still sharp along the IT bands. Will foam rolling and applying pressure with a tennis ball along the IT band multiple times a day help? Any idea why the pain is sharp when squatting, but non-existent when deadlifting?
    Just speaking for myself I have to roll my IT bands from time to time to keep them from tightening up.

I'm new here but that I might have something to add. I recently had strong pain along one of my IT bands (left thigh) and I found foam rolling just didn't do it for me. My recommendation is to get to a massage therapist. You truly can't force enough pain on yourself to fully fix the issue. After my session yesterday, which only took 30 minutes, I feel 10x better than before.