starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie question about increasing weights

Question Newbie question about increasing weights

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This might be an obvious question, but I am wondering if I can make great gains in the amount of weight I can lift in one area (DL for instance), but can barely do another lift (squat), do I just keep adding weight to the DL all the time, and things will even out over time (or they won't)? I am thinking that things will get "unbalanced" or something... ? dunno
    Thanks.

Just add weight to every lift you can. For most people, their DL will exceed their squat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    This might be an obvious question, but I am wondering if I can make great gains in the amount of weight I can lift in one area (DL for instance), but can barely do another lift (squat), do I just keep adding weight to the DL all the time, and things will even out over time (or they won't)? I am thinking that things will get "unbalanced" or something... ? dunno
    Thanks.
    What Mark said. My deadlift is at 330 and my squat has stalled at 260 so I'm working on unsticking that. I'm also working on unsticking the DL too using haltings and rack pulls. I don't know for others but the squat is the hardest lift for me by far, and that last little bit of depth past parallel is what really gets to me. It's amazing that little bit makes such a big difference on what I can lift.
    Last edited by SteveL; 02-06-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Some of it will depend on your Anthropometry ... I have long legs and arms and not a lot of torso, so Deadlifting is definitely my bag ... My buddy who I train with has T-Rex arms/legs and and a proportionate torso and his Deadlift is quickly stalling while his squat, press, bench all seem to be progressing quite nicely. Nothing to be concerned about. As Mark says, continue to add weight whenever you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great. Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense.

starting strength coach development program
    The other way of thinking of it is that it all helps each other. Deadlift going up will help your squat a little, benching going up will help your press a little etc. Why would you want to pause when it could help get you unstuck?