starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    SS Coaches,

Thanks for your willingness to provide this help. 45yo, 175lb, 5'11" male. Read the book and Barbell Prescription (both amazing references, by the way). Started my LP about two months ago, worked up to 175lb squat, but suffered a groin pull during last rep of first set at that weight. Resolved with Starr protocol, now back to my pre-injury weight and want to validate form before I add much more weight. Concerned that some, possibly all of these might be too high. Watching in slow-mo, it looked like I'd gotten just below parallel on 3 of these, but unsure. Also can't decide whether: 1) my back is too upright, and 2) my knees are sliding too far forward.

YouTube

And, yes, I need weightlifting shoes (and a more stable rack, which is on it's way).

Thanks,

Ben

1) You are overextending your spine right at the top of the rep, and holding your back in an overextended state for the entire rep. We generally see this happen on the way back up, as the lifter tries to satisfy that safety poster they saw at work to not lift with their back, while at the same time trying to drive their hips up. In your case, you're doing it at the top, right before you squat. JUST STAND NORMALLY UNDER THE BAR. Lock your NORMALLY extended back in position with tight abs and back. ISOMETRIC extension - it means we shouldn't see you lift your hips up like you're doing.

2) Stance is wrong. Turn your toes out more, drive your knees out harder.

3) You're starting the rep by breaking at the hips first. This is wrong. Hips AND knees should break at the same time.

All of these were high. Fix your toes, fix your back, and get your knees out harder and the depth should be fine.

Got it. Thank you, Steve.