starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which tape?

Question Which tape?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm trying to train the hook grip, and it's murdering my thumbs. I'm going to try taping them up - I don't want to give up on the hook grip just yet.

Which tape should I buy? (I'm in the UK)

Is there an ideal width/stretchiness? Is there anything I should look out for when buying tape? Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and I should just go and pick up the cheapest...

This might be an option. I haven't tried them but they're inexpensive. Nothing to lose. JerkFit NUBs | Rogue Fitness

Are you lifting heavy ? I'm a weak arsed dude and I lift 300lbs plain overhand grip. I would try to resist the urge to use hook grip for as long as possible and build up the plain overhand grip for as long as possible. Are you using chalk ? Is the knurling free of chalk ? Do use a narrow bar ? Are you dropping the bar low in the hand rather than trying to roll it up high where it will start moving down as soon as you begin the lift ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Are you lifting heavy ? I'm a weak arsed dude and I lift 300lbs plain overhand grip. I would try to resist the urge to use hook grip for as long as possible and build up the plain overhand grip for as long as possible. Are you using chalk ? Is the knurling free of chalk ? Do use a narrow bar ? Are you dropping the bar low in the hand rather than trying to roll it up high where it will start moving down as soon as you begin the lift ?
    Eventually DOH gives out and sooner than later. You don’t want to miss reps because of grip issues. Plus, the hook has to be adapted to, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Eventually DOH gives out and sooner than later. You don’t want to miss reps because of grip issues. Plus, the hook has to be adapted to, as well.
    Eventually, so does the hook grip. Next up its straps, like most of the people in my gym-now they can't lift 225lbs without straps. Just my opinion, but the more the grip is developed without tapes and straps the better, as it is probably the weakest link in the dead lift chain which is essential to develop for novices.

What Satch said.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    but the more the grip is developed without tapes and straps the better, as it is probably the weakest link
    And the thumb is the weakest link in a hook grip.
    If you fail with DOH at, say, 350lbs, and try next session the same weight with hook, you are not going to make it, because your hook grip won't be adapted to it. In particular, your thumb is going to kill you. It's going to take some time before your hook is able to lift 350, and you are not going to make progress during that time.

As for tape, any inch-wide adhesive tape, of the type they use to fix bandages, will be ok. Also, the tape used by volleyball players (a minority in the UK, I know) to wrap their fingers will also be good.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhead View Post
    I'm trying to train the hook grip, and it's murdering my thumbs. I'm going to try taping them up - I don't want to give up on the hook grip just yet.

Which tape should I buy? (I'm in the UK)

Is there an ideal width/stretchiness? Is there anything I should look out for when buying tape? Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and I should just go and pick up the cheapest...
    From the crushing pain standpoint, IMO the tape doesn't help (much).
    That's more for a blister, skin problems, and may aid grip if you don't have access chalk (e.g. globo-gym rules).

If you tape them up hardcore enough to bolster them ....then they don't bend well, or squish as much, which maybe hurt the actual gripping (conforming to the bar).
    If you have long enough fingers this may not be a problem.

But I just use cheap athletic tape.

You might just need to more rep for your thumbs to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    If you fail with DOH at, say, 350lbs, and try next session the same weight with hook, you are not going to make it, because your hook grip won't be adapted to it. In particular, your thumb is going to kill you. It's going to take some time before your hook is able to lift 350, and you are not going to make progress during that time.
    This for sure. I would hook your warm ups and then DOH (or mix) your heaviest sets for a while. If you're doing power cleans, make sure you hook those as well - they are a great way to keep your thumbs adapted (plus they make the Oly lifts easier to rack, IMO).

Powderhead,

I'd like some more info. How heavy? How long have you tried the hook grip? It takes a little while to adapt.

When I finally decided to do it, I hooked everything for a month, including warmups, because I needed to adapt. I'd put on the Terminator theme, tell myself I was no longer human, but a cyborg designed for deadlifting, and I'd hook on to the barbell and pull it. Took a while, but I can hook in the mid 500s now.

Two mistakes I made at the beginning: trying to get my fingers too far down my thumb, and letting go in between reps. When you let go, blood comes back in and it hurts. Don't let go. Just get as many reps in as you can, and then release the grip and curse the pain.

But it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Eventually it's just a slight annoyance.

starting strength coach development program
    I prefer these over just generic athletic tape, easy to peel off, won't leave a sticky mess on your fingers:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/coban/YnJhbmQ6Q09CQU4ie

Karl is right though. Lifting to the Terminator theme makes you endure all sorts of pain. BTW, both Arnold and Linda Hamilton are back for the new (6th) Terminator. I believe Cameron is directing, but that might not be true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast