starting strength gym

Thread: What do you consider short arms for deadlift

Default What do you consider short arms for deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After listening to this weeks podcast Rip discussed some people are just gonna be at a disadvantage deadlifting. Mine has lagged but still ahead of my squat. Squat 1 Rm-425 Dead-435. At lockout my deadlift is just above my “junk”. Just out of curiosity do you all think this is high? Maybe just long legs and shorts arms. Maybe just need to deadlift more often as he discussed!

If you lock the bar out close to your nads, you have short arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Crawford View Post
    After listening to this weeks podcast Rip discussed some people are just gonna be at a disadvantage deadlifting. Mine has lagged but still ahead of my squat. Squat 1 Rm-425 Dead-435. At lockout my deadlift is just above my “junk”. Just out of curiosity do you all think this is high? Maybe just long legs and shorts arms. Maybe just need to deadlift more often as he discussed!
    As a fellow member, I'd like to welcome you to Team T-Rex, Andy. This is more a matter of long torso than long legs, though, if you think about it.

It's not all bad, in that short arms are an asset for press and bench - how are you at those?

I realized at one point that I basically wasn't going to pull 500 until I'd squatted it...and that's exactly what happened. You play the hand you're dealt.

For me, Dr. Santana's advice from a couple years ago has been paying off: alternating between block pulls and deficit halting deadlifts - see here for details: Losing weight and choosing work weights

From that post, I'm up to a 500 squat, 515 DL, with 495 x 5 block pulls and 445 x 5 DHDL so far. (+58 on SQ, +84 on DL in a couple years...) So, it's working. I'm still not out-pulling my squat by much, if anything (I carefully focus on the DL work over the SQ, something else Dr. Santana's written about)...but I'm stronger, which is the point.

If you're still able to progress on just DLs, though, don't worry about switching it up just yet, though. If it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you lock the bar out close to your nads, you have short arms.
    Don't forget to include the weight of your nads in all totals you record as well.