starting strength gym

Thread: HLM back off sets vs light and medium day

Default HLM back off sets vs light and medium day

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am looking to start doing a heavy light medium set up.

I saw it suggested to do one top set on the heavy day followed by 4 back off sets. I would usually take off 10% for a back off set.

So, then you take off 10% off the top set for medium day.? Would that mean your doing the same weight for the back off sets on heavy day as you are for the working sets on medium day.

Then you would take off 20% for the light day?

Is that correct?

Question 2

Eventually, you would want to lower the medium and light days by even more as the weight gets heavy? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by More4Less View Post
    I am looking to start doing a heavy light medium set up.

I saw it suggested to do one top set on the heavy day followed by 4 back off sets. I would usually take off 10% for a back off set.

So, then you take off 10% off the top set for medium day.? Would that mean your doing the same weight for the back off sets on heavy day as you are for the working sets on medium day.

Then you would take off 20% for the light day?

Is that correct?

Question 2

Eventually, you would want to lower the medium and light days by even more as the weight gets heavy? Is that correct?
    The grey book explans this well. If you want a good video on HLM Andy Baker has some on his old youtube channel. Baker will explain the need for a 5 to 10 percent offset on medium days and lighter lifts by nature such as the SLDL, front squats and other pressing variations.

You will note that one topsets and two 90% backoffs, plus three 90% "medium" sets on Friday, is the same volume as the Texas method, just distributed differently.

Your "backoff" sets are medium work, designed to accumulate volume to drive the heavy set. So it stands to reason they should be at your "medium day" work.