starting strength gym

Thread: How should chinups be programmed in the advanced novice LP once you can do 20 chins?

Default How should chinups be programmed in the advanced novice LP once you can do 20 chins?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Once you are already doing 3x5 with weight alternated with 3xBW chinups on the advanced LP and you can do around 20 or so reps of BW chinups. What is the correct way to progress with chinups should weight be added so that you stay in the 10-15 rep range range?

Weighted chins for sets of 5 is the best way. But you seem to like high reps, so go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Weighted chins for sets of 5 is the best way. But you seem to like high reps, so go ahead.
    So do you now think weighted chins should be programmed like the barbell lifts, with progressively overloaded sets of 5? That's how I've always trained them, which I recall being SS heresy a few years ago

I don't think anything is accomplished by a bunch of warmup sets at increasing weight, if that's what you mean. I think you do some bodyweight chins, hit one intermediate set for a double, and then do 3 sets of 5, going up a pound occasionally.