starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How should chinups be programmed in the advanced novice LP once you can do 20 chins?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by biggah_traps View Post
    I have tried it and have reached +80 lbs for 5 at 190 lbs. That's slightly more than I can bench
    This is a bench problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Traps is your resource here, since I've never been able to make this work.
    I may be asking my question improperly. I just would like to know what rep range we are supposed to be using in practical programming 3rd edition for the advanced novice LP.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers1998 View Post
    I may be asking my question improperly. I just would like to know what rep range we are supposed to be using in practical programming 3rd edition for the advanced novice LP.
    Chins are an assistance exercise, not a primary exercise. The fact that no specifics are given is indicative of this. If you're not weighing your clothed body prior to every single set, and adjusting the load on your body accordingly for a total weight, you are inherently not doing an exercise that's progressed the same as a barbell lift. The ROM for chins is also subject to a higher degree of variability than the primary barbell lifts. All of these together mean that you're stressing too much about this.

Don't let an idol of perfection lead you astray. You need to play around with this exercise to figure out what works for you. Are you worried that Rip will call you out with the dreaded "YNDTP"? If so, he's already essentially said that this (and your dips questions, which are not at all a part of the NLP anyway) is not a matter of specific compliance. You are free to experiment, and to learn. Consider it a foretaste of growth into your post-novice programming, lean into the uncertainty, and enjoy learning how to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Chins are an assistance exercise, not a primary exercise. The fact that no specifics are given is indicative of this. If you're not weighing your clothed body prior to every single set, and adjusting the load on your body accordingly for a total weight, you are inherently not doing an exercise that's progressed the same as a barbell lift. The ROM for chins is also subject to a higher degree of variability than the primary barbell lifts. All of these together mean that you're stressing too much about this.

Don't let an idol of perfection lead you astray. You need to play around with this exercise to figure out what works for you. Are you worried that Rip will call you out with the dreaded "YNDTP"? If so, he's already essentially said that this (and your dips questions, which are not at all a part of the NLP anyway) is not a matter of specific compliance. You are free to experiment, and to learn. Consider it a foretaste of growth into your post-novice programming, lean into the uncertainty, and enjoy learning how to learn.
    I just don't like to play around with things since Rip already knows what the best protocol is. So I would rather follow what he recommends. Even just general guidelines would be nice. Like "do a regular 3x5 day then another higher rep 3x10-15 day" would be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by biggah_traps View Post
    No, I mean linearly progressed for sets of 5. So 3 sets of 5 at +20lbs on Monday, 3 sets of 5 at +22.5 lbs on Friday, 3 sets of 5 at +25 lbs next Wednesday. They way you'd progress ohp and bench.

Then treated like the bench press on intermediate (obviously there's more than one way to progress an intermediate bench, so why I'm being less specific)
    This sounds like a good idea until you think about it. When you’re talking about progressing a couple pounds at a time, there’s too many variables. The weight of your clothes, how much you ate, the massive starting strength shit you had before or after your chins.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by huskers1998 View Post
    I just don't like to play around with things since Rip already knows what the best protocol is. So I would rather follow what he recommends. Even just general guidelines would be nice. Like "do a regular 3x5 day then another higher rep 3x10-15 day" would be very helpful.
    The point is, there is no best protocol here. The farther you go from the NLP and the farther you go from the main lifts, the more variables come into play. The more variables that come into play, the more diffuse the solution sets become.

This is part of what makes some exercises assistance ones, not primary ones.

You may not like to play around with things, but if you want to stick with training, it's your destiny. Embracing that will be more productive, not to mention more satisfying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12