starting strength gym

Thread: How should chinups be programmed in the advanced novice LP once you can do 20 chins?

Default How should chinups be programmed in the advanced novice LP once you can do 20 chins?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Once you are already doing 3x5 with weight alternated with 3xBW chinups on the advanced LP and you can do around 20 or so reps of BW chinups. What is the correct way to progress with chinups should weight be added so that you stay in the 10-15 rep range range?

Weighted chins for sets of 5 is the best way. But you seem to like high reps, so go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Weighted chins for sets of 5 is the best way. But you seem to like high reps, so go ahead.
    So do you now think weighted chins should be programmed like the barbell lifts, with progressively overloaded sets of 5? That's how I've always trained them, which I recall being SS heresy a few years ago

I don't think anything is accomplished by a bunch of warmup sets at increasing weight, if that's what you mean. I think you do some bodyweight chins, hit one intermediate set for a double, and then do 3 sets of 5, going up a pound occasionally.

I don't think anything is accomplished by a bunch of warmup sets at increasing weight, if that's what you mean. I think you do some bodyweight chins, hit one intermediate set for a double, and then do 3 sets of 5, going up a pound occasionally.
    No, I mean linearly progressed for sets of 5. So 3 sets of 5 at +20lbs on Monday, 3 sets of 5 at +22.5 lbs on Friday, 3 sets of 5 at +25 lbs next Wednesday. They way you'd progress ohp and bench.

Then treated like the bench press on intermediate (obviously there's more than one way to progress an intermediate bench, so why I'm being less specific)

Thank you. I just want to follow the routine. I have no interest in doing higher reps if that is not recommended. But in starting strength 3 you recommend doing half with bodyweight and the other half 3x5. As well as you stating something similar in this comment SS and Weighted pull/chin ups
    So I wanted to confirm with you. So the ideal for an advanced novice LP would be just 3x5 sets across linear progression and forget about higher rep stuff at this point since I can already do 20?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by biggah_traps View Post
    No, I mean linearly progressed for sets of 5. So 3 sets of 5 at +20lbs on Monday, 3 sets of 5 at +22.5 lbs on Friday, 3 sets of 5 at +25 lbs next Wednesday. They way you'd progress ohp and bench.
    Doesn't work. But try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers1998 View Post
    Thank you. I just want to follow the routine. I have no interest in doing higher reps if that is not recommended. But in starting strength 3 you recommend doing half with bodyweight and the other half 3x5. As well as you stating something similar in this comment SS and Weighted pull/chin ups
    So I wanted to confirm with you. So the ideal for an advanced novice LP would be just 3x5 sets across linear progression and forget about higher rep stuff at this point since I can already do 20?
    Chins are an assistance exercise. Do them any way you want to.