starting strength gym
Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Gwynn's Training Log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Tor, I love the belt. But I would not get your mom a 4" one. I'm 5'9" and long in the torso for a woman, and it barely fits me!

I would get a 3" one for sure.

How great that your mom lifts!!!

Thank you, Gwynn. Probably what I'll end up doing is giving her a gift certificate to elite fitness or something and sharing your suggestion for belt size. That way pressure is off me in case the thing doesn't fit.

Yeah, she's pretty strong. At 57 and 135 pounds she worked up to sets of 150 on the squat, 190 on the deadlift (though she's backed off weight on those lifts and increased reps, concerned about some lower back issues), and she's repping out 75 on the press and 95 on the bench. I'm proud of her.

Well, Merry Christmas (err... happy holidays), and take care of yourself so you can keep getting stronger.

Tor

Default plodding along

Today I had another physical therapy session. Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick. My hip boldly went places where it had not gone before.

I am restructuring some very old and very set habits while trying to maintain the strength I've gained in the last year; to this end, for today's training I did not increase.

Squat
    160x5x3
    Bench
    100x5x3
    Pullups 3 set of 5 on the blue band

I have a week out of town in January. After that I might try 531 and include one day with no martial arts and no weights which will mean I have to lift just two days a week. If I can do what I am trying to do, my legs will end up mostly the same length, and I'll be able to actually use my right leg more fully which should translate into better strength!

Default in the middle of a layoff

So I am training MA lightly (with one slightly heavier sparring day per week) but no weights since my last post. Everything is moving, albeit slowly.

Just thought I'd post because yesterday someone knocked over my bike - it's a Honda 919 and weighs about 450 dry - I've never been able to pick it up my myself before.

I had no choice, so I tinkered around and found myself a mechanically efficient position, shoved with my legs and lo and behold - it was up. Kinda easily in fact.

Yay me.

Default starting over - always good for humility

After a winter of exhausted depression I decided to join the Dark Side.
    I've been doing an introductory class at a local Crossfit affiliate for a couple of weeks, and decided it was time to try to get my strength back up.

I've lost a lot of strength along with some bodyweight. Oops. On the bright side, I'm not crippled any more and I'm starting to take a few more falls in both jujitsu and aikido. There are still issues, but when are there ever not?

Oddly enough, I have been running, something I thought I'd never do because of the state of my feet, ankles and knees. I took a page from the barefoot people and run in my chucks. Even running on cement, I have had no joint pain. Crazy. Running kicks my ass. I actually like it.

So, today, first time back under the bar since the end of December.

Squat: 45x5x2, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5x3.
    Bench: 45x5x2, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 90x5x3.

And a few sets of pullups. I am back on a band, the red one this time.

Even though my squat numbers are piss poor it felt fucking great to just be doing it again! Oh squat! I missed you so much! :-)

Glad to hear that your hip issue has cleared up.

Welcome back. You were always in our hearts.

So I am not posting everything I do on here, obviously. For anyone who is interested, iliopsoas tendinitis is tenacious and recovery is two steps forward, one step back. This is not new for me. One of the reasons I do so many different kinds of things is versatility. One year I spent struggling with a mysterious foot injury that kept me in and out of a removable cast. That year I spent a lot of time on groundwork. Last year was about working around golfer's elbow. Now I have this. It's a process, training around injury. Stop training altogether and you go insane and don't heal anyway because half the things that keep you injured are everyday life events - picking up a pot or a bag of groceries when I had golfer's elbow - these days, any kind of sitting does it. Even riding my motorcycle! :-(

So today:
    Squat
    45x5x2, 70x5, 95x5, 120x5x3
    Press
    45x5x2, 55x5, 60x5, 67x5x3
    Deadlift
    95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 190x5
    Three sets of pullups on a red band: 5, 4, 5

Squat:
    45x5x2, 70x5, 95x5, 115x3, 125x5x3

Bench
    45x5x2, 65x5, 75x5, 85x3, 92x5x3

Power Clean
    45x3, 65x3, 70x3, 75x3, 80x3, 85x3x5

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    45x5x2, 65x5, 95x5, 115x3, 130x5x3
    Press
    45x5x2, 55x5, 65x3, 69x5x3
    red band pullups 5x2, ring dips with a blue band, 5x2

Even though I'm using a pretty light weight today I really wanted my knee sleeves. Next week I'll start using them. I think I'll also bring my belt and try a work set with it and without it and see whether I want to add that yet or not.

Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast