starting strength gym
Page 1971 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 971147118711921196119691970197119721973198120212071 ... LastLast
Results 19,701 to 19,710 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    No, that's just Jujimufu.

Speaking of Juji, he writes articles apparently? His nutrition article is pretty funny. Surprisingly kinda sensible. Also a mile long, Jordan's got competition.

apparently he went on America's Got Talent. I'd probably watch that

Wow.

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Maybe the IAEA needs to run a Geiger counter over Iran's lifters...

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    Maybe the IAEA needs to run a Geiger counter over Iran's lifters...
    There's a WMD joke in here somewhere...

As I no longer attend a commercial gym I'm not sure if this applies to this thread but I'll rant anyways:

19 yr old kid at work has been asking me and another guy at work all year how to gain weight and look muscular. I'm 5'9.5" @210 lbs. Other guy is 6' @195 lbs and a bit lanky looking due to the fact that he only does calisthenics but just naturally has bigger frame than me.19 yr old kid is... No joke 5'8" @110 lbs!

Anyways, the kid decides to completely ignore my Starting Strength advice (which by the way comes from having attended a weekend seminar), tells me he doesn't want to do what I do because he doesn't want to look like me, and proceeds to take the advice of the other guy instead. Apparently I'm "too bulky" and "look like a bear that fights other bears". Am I missing something? Is that a bad thing? I even told him that his genetics will ensure that he doesn't look like me because he has a different structure. I also made sure he knew that diet will determine how bulky or lean he wants to get... Apparently this didn't seem to stick.

Typical gym bullshit goes on anytime and anywhere so I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has similar experiences. I swear not one person listens to me when they ask for my advice about training. This wasn't the first time this sort of thing has happened and it definitely won't be the last. Judging by the skinny personal trainers I've seen, a larger muscular build does not seem to appeal to the majority. I don't really care what people want to look like but I just don't understand why they bother asking for advice when they're not interested in the first place. My mind tells me not to give out advice anymore even if I'm asked for it but I really enjoy helping people so I find it difficult not saying anything. One guy asked recently, "what weights do you lift?" And I said "all of them," as I politely kept walking away.

I usually don't give people much info. When anyone asks me "how can you possibly lift that much" I usually tell them I started low and added a bit more weight each time I trained. If they ask for anything more after that I refer them to the website and book.

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    . One guy asked recently, "what weights do you lift?" And I said "all of them," as I politely kept walking away.
    This is an excellent response.

A guy was talking to me about weight training since he is into martial arts. Eventually he asked me what my best deadlift was. I told him 545. He said I was going to "shit out my intestines" using that kind of weight. These conversations are very rarely productive.