starting strength gym
Page 71 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273811211715711071 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I mean, she better be hot, and you better be fucking her brains out.
    She was too skinny, no curves and kind of tall.

Kind of pretty I guess, but not at all my type. Probably a vegetarian too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I let her (as you need to do with women) ... feel some authority in the situation.
    Dude, seriously? What century do you live in?

----
    Edited to add: OK, I know I'm cranky today (work-related; I have no patience for sloppy work), and I know Dastardly is generally harmless and probably doesn't mean to offend. But geez. A little respect....
    Last edited by Kate; 05-10-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: toning down the crankiness

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Dude, seriously? What century do you live in?

----
    Edited to add: OK, I know I'm cranky today (work-related; I have no patience for sloppy work), and I know Dastardly is generally harmless and probably doesn't mean to offend. But geez. A little respect....
    Im sure an intelligent person such as yourself can appreciate that men & women are not the same. Men have many unfavorable traits. But many women can often be very "touchy" and overly sensitive without explanation or logic, leaving men very confused about why they are upset or offended and how to deal with it.

In my experience, the best solution seems to be, total passiveness and acceptance of all hinted/suggested blame or guilt. This pacifies potential confrontation, allowing relationship & communication to remain functional.

Read this story and tell me if tell me if you think that the husband really believes his wife. He clearly wants to keep his family together.

http://www.techeye.net/internet/woma...e-her-pregnant
    Last edited by Dastardly; 05-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.

In my experience, the best solution seems to be, total passiveness and acceptance of all hinted/suggested blame or guilt. This pacifies potential confrontation, allowing relationship & communication to remain functional.
    I find this amusing because of the number of women I know that develop this exact same strategy to deal with men.

Frankly, I think it's a lousy strategy both in terms of both my own self-respect and the other person's.

EDIT: PS, why on earth didn't you walk out on this psycho, I have a hard time believing you would want her opinion on your training.
    Last edited by Gwyn Brookes; 05-10-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: curioser and curioser...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Frankly, I think it's a lousy strategy both in terms of both my own self-respect and the other person's.
    +1.

Nuthin' "functional" about "total passiveness," from either sex. If by "functional," one means "healthy," anyway.

I dunno man, I thuink you're generalising a bit too much, women come in all different falvours, women can be very up front and brutaly honest too.

I don't think being passive.. (read pushover) is a good strategy to deal with differences in the long run,, you'll let women walk all over you..

In fact, I'd be more opposite as I feel a lot of women will stirr up shit just to see what sort of man you are. I know I'm generalising a bit now.. but hey

Read the book way of the superior man - david deida.

Tigger & Kate:

this was a therapist who I will probably see a maximum of 5 times (not a long term relationship). I could see she was offended & annoyed which I did not intend at all. What could I have done? I was being extremely tactful & dumbing myself down already to give her a sense of authority/self-respect. When it started to blow up, it couldve turned out real bad, but I managed to appease her with these tactics. I still felt really guilty afterwards.

I dont think she is a bad person, or stupid. Just a little naive, overly sensitive and not as knowledgeable about her field as she likes to think.

I didnt mean to generalise in a sexist way, I just phrased it like that for a little humour and the fact she was portraying the classic stereotype which I described.

What could I have done?
    Assuming you want to keep things cordial:

"I understand that you and I do not see eye to eye regarding my training. Thank you for your time." Walk out.

Or, if for some reason heretofore unexplained you actually think you're going to get something useful out of this relationship and want to pursue it:

"I don't agree with you about weight training and am not willing to give it up. Are you still willing to work with me?"

"I don't agree with you about weight training and am not willing to give it up. Are you still willing to work with me?"
    Thats what I did do, in an extremely cautious manner.

starting strength coach development program
    Assuming you want to keep things cordial:

"I understand that you and I do not see eye to eye regarding my training. Thank you for your time." Walk out.
    Gay.

How about:

"FUCK YOU, YOU HACK! HOW DID YOU EVEN MANAGE TO GET THIS JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE IF YOU'RE SO FUCKING IGNORANT ABOUT BASIC HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY AND ADAPTATION???? I WANT A REFUND. And a parking validation would be nice, if your secretary would do that. I CAN'T BELIEVE I WASTED MY TIME WITH THIS BULLSHIT." Walk out. End scene.