starting strength gym

Thread: carpal tunnel syndrome

Unhappy carpal tunnel syndrome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello to all. I am having a recent bout with carpal tunnel syndrome. I am doing many many exercises that I have picked up from YouTube. I am wearing braces on my wrists at night as well. I also have a massage gun that I use also. With all of this, I am still getting numbness in my fingers at least once per night. No pain but numbness only. I refuse to go for surgery because from all that I have read even that may not be permanent and if anything goes awry with the surgery you can lose all feeling in your hands. I still have NO problems lifting weights and am strong as ever and have no problems except for when I go to sleep. Not sure how long all these tendon glides and nerve flossings and stretches and massages will take before I see it gone. Does anyone have experience with this problem? And should I stop lifting for a bit- I do not think that is what is causing it since I have been lifting for 50 years. I am by the way 65 years of age and in great health and shape otherwise. Thanks for listening.

Keeping wrists neutral when lifting? How do you know it's carpal tunnel? When did it start and have you had it before?

You don't happen to be taking any HGH, are you?

I truly think mine went away eliminating gluten from my diet. It could be something worth considering, as I couldn’t get any relief otherwise.

Maybe its carpal tunnel, but if the wrist braces aren't working at night, I'd suspect ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow (carpital tunnel syndrome, I believe it's called). If you sleep with bent elbows, it'll cause the symptoms you're describing. I've dealt with this for years, predominantly in my left elbow/fingers. I periodically use an elbow brace that keeps my elbow from bending, and it resolves fairly quickly. Although my left hand grip is noticeably weaker than my right, but hasn't interfered with lifting (yet).

*cubital tunnel

I was frequently waking up with totally numb fingers/hand for a while. This happened while my shoulder was killing me at night (turned out to be a SLAP tear) and shortly after being diagnosed with knee arthritis. I was like WTF is going on? I'm falling apart in the span of a week! Aging sucks. I was diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome and when it didn't go away I got a nerve test. The test showed no nerve damage. Ultimately, it went away (knock on wood) and I attribute that to making a conscious effort to sleep with extended arms. I don't lock the elbows like a psycho but I do keep them extended with just a bit of an elbow bend. I will still wake up with some numbness now and then but it is very infrequent and nothing like it used to be, which was several times a night at its peak.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, please make sure you're using an ergonomic keyboard and a vertical mouse. These things should be standard today.

Here are the ones I use:

Vertical Mouse
    https://a.co/d/2YyNhP6

Ergo Keyboard
    https://a.co/d/0YUeUQp