starting strength gym

Thread: Very painful back

Default Very painful back

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After my second SS workout I wake up with a very painful lower back. Sharp nagging. As I am saying this I think about Rippetoe saying to some people things about their mattress. And yes I am lying on a bad mattress here. But can a mattress as much as cause this level of severe back pain? When I feel something like this I feel like, can't be JUST the mattress right, or?

Post video of your next deadlift.

I do have to add the back pain resided once I put my mattress on the ground. I have been watching a lot of your videos these days (thanks).

I have to say after my two days of rest I am still too sore. Also I feel some minor bone itches, and some sensitivity. Like it's a little more fragile

I could clearly see video one form not being perfect, getting the hollow back was also impossible for me. Been practicing with your tips (lying on ground on stomach hands behind head knees and feet from ground, dropping your ... to your knees). I do feel also the first deadlift sessions even though bad form strengthened my spinal erectors a little so to get into that position easier.

But like I said, my DOM's are a lot and haven't recided after the weekend.

Also excuse me for barefeet, I didn't read your article on don't post anything barefeet on here. I put on lifting shoes new vids.

This is my old form, the form I used last week (week 1).

Https://vimeo.com/949017879?activityReferer=1

This is me practicing new form.

Vimeo

Vimeo

I didn't fully lift it because it were rest days and I think it's the setup anyway .

I have a hard time maintaining the brace

I eat 4000 calories a day and 200 grams of protein so I doubt that's the problem.

My biggest problems I feel like that I may now be able to correct:

1. Couldn't really make a hollow back..
    2. Didn't really scrape it along my legs
    3. Treated it too much as a pull
    4. I think I was too awkward defining exact foot positioning, but I think I placed the bar too far on my foot just a little, combined with the not pulling it across my legs.

You couls say I was so focussed on the bracing part (feeling a tight abs squeeze) that when I had it I wanted to make the lift even though my form itself was not great. But it didn't really pan out great.

What I find so hard about the deadlift is every rep is like sort of a reset, whereas in the squat it feels more like a flow so with these motor patterns not great yet. It's pretty hard to get to 25 reps (I use the SS app) with perfect form.

Also kinda struggling with how tight the belt should go. In putting it as tight as possible right now.

My (new) deadlift checklist:

* Put it mid foot
    * Feet shoulder width
    * Feet slightly out
    * Bent down without bending the knees
    * Put arms outside of legs.
    * Pull traps" back. Try to make a hollow back. Push belly forwards
    * Knees against bar
    * Breath deep. Brace.
    * Treat it like a leg press.

I am so sorry wanted to include in the message. Because of the DOM's I am not sure if I should proceed to week two (it is today). Spinal erectors, even traps a little are painful.

I am really curious what your opinion on this is how I should proceed with this. And I would be really grateful for having a response from the creator of my program himself.

Thanks for all your hard work! The app is also great.

How many deadlift workouts have you actually performed?

I did two.

I made new video's today sir. Did feel like it went a little better. Form wise. This is my thirth time.

Privevideo - Dailymotion
    Privevideo - Dailymotion
    Privevideo - Dailymotion
    Privevideo - Dailymotion

It's pretty hard to get to 25 reps (I use the SS app) with perfect form.
    25 reps? What the hell is the app having you do?

That's too long a checklist. Use the five step setup. You are not extending your lower back at all. Look up some videos on cuing lower back extension.

Being sore doesn't matter. Keep training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mennoweet View Post
    I did two.

I made new video's today sir. Did feel like it went a little better. Form wise. This is my thirth time.
    This is ridiculous. Stop typing and start training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is ridiculous. Stop typing and start training.
    Rip, was the bar close enough to the shins in this video?