starting strength gym

Thread: Patellar dislocation and wearing a J brace

Default Patellar dislocation and wearing a J brace

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My wife has had issues with dislocating her knee cap over her life. She did it one time as a teenager jumping off a dock, and then 2-3 more times as an adult, slipping on ice once, and golfing another time. She’s 38 now.

Her knee has been hurting the past few months before planning to start the NLP for the first time. She got an MRI and saw an orthopedic surgeon who told her she doesn’t need surgery, but she was “born with a messed up knee” and needs to strengthen her VMO muscles, and gave referral to a physio for some weird-looking exercises. Fortunately from looking at past situations on the forums we know this is misguided so she’s just going to do the program and get strong instead.

The other thing he recommended was to start wearing a J-brace when doing any sports, like golf, or volleyball, or anything that can rotate the knee. So my questions are:

1. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions around the J brace? It makes good sense to me, but given the quality of the other advice I am skeptical so wanted to double check.

2. Any need to wear a brace while squatting? Given the direction of the force it feels like it may not be necessary, vs other sports where the knee may twist, but again interested in others’ experience.

Thanks.

What is a J-brace?

Fair question. It’s a knee sleeve with a J-shaped insert that hooks around the knee, specifically to stabilize the patella.

Example: DonJoy Hinged Drytex Lateral "J" Knee Brace - OrthoMed Canada