starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with Pubalgia

Default problem with Pubalgia

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Unfortunately I seem to have ?Pubalgia? - a kind of inflammation of muscles/tendons in the groin area...- I was just doing everything ok, without rush (my squat was easly at 120Kg. for 5x5) but I had to stop. It?s a shame because the muscles could do it but it?s really hurting when I?m in the hole and drive the bar up.
    At this point, I have to take the Squat off my day 1 and continue with DL (since it seems doesn?t hurt me). I?d like to have your opinion regarding my ?disease? (have you ever suffered from this and how/when have you recovered) and my workout too.

Day 1

Bench 5x5 across
    Incline bench 2x8 -2x6
    Weighted chins 3x max (at the moment 15 kg. 10 ? 9 ? 8)

Day 2

Deadlift 3x5 across
    Military Press 5x5 across
    Chins (bodyweight) 3 x max

Any suggestion will be really appreciated!!

David

I'd need a more precise location of the tendon insertions involved. Never heard of this.

According to Wikipedia it's a sports hernia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_pubalgia

From wikipedia, athletic pubalgia, also called the sportman's hernia or sports hernia, Gilmore's groin or groin disruption, is a medical condition of the groin... It is a syndrome characterized by chronic groin pain and a dilated superficial ring of the inguinal canal. A hernia cannot be found on physical examination or medical imaging, and is not revealed during surgery. The term hernia thus is a misnomer, but has persisted...

Symptoms include pain... particularly hip extension, and twisting and turning. This pain usually radiates to the adductor muscle region and even the testicles, although it is often difficult for the patient to pin-point the exact location.

As pain in the groin and pelvis can be referred from a number of problems, including injuries to the lumbar spine, the hip joint, the sacro-iliac joint, the abdomen, and the genito-urinary system, diagnosis of athletic pubalgia requires skillful differentiation and pubic examination in certain cases where there is intense groin pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Eligius View Post
    From wikipedia
    I went to this Wikipedia doctor once and he prescribed me heroin for my cough. Best doctor ever.

Hi and thanks for your help,
    I have made several tests and they exclude Hernia or problems in the abdomen area. I started feeling the pain in the left side of the pelvis, just at the very end of my lower abs. I kept on doing Squat and all the rest since I'm a moron of course. Then it started radiating to the adductor muscle region (in both legs but mostly left).Testicles are ok and so the the genito-urinary system (I made medical tests).As I crunch or turn when I'm in a supine position or simply as I spread one or both legs, especially if done suddenly.

I know this problem could be caused by different problems, injuries to the spine, the hip joint, the sacro-iliac joint, the abs and I surely will have to discover what is the problem, apart from the pain.

I thank you once again for any help you could give me, especially Mr Ripp.
    Just a word: Even if I can't have it translated, I recently bought your book "Practical Programming" and I truly think is the best book that I ever read. Starting strength I and II were great too, is unbelievable how many things you can learn on a lift you're doing for years and years (the bench or the press)...by simply doing the Press as you teach us I've never had shoulder problems as in the past. So...THANKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynomial View Post
    I went to this Wikipedia doctor once and he prescribed me heroin for my cough. Best doctor ever.
    So you're one of these guys that is currently participating in the fad of bashing wikipedia as a source for information, even at the simple level we need here, are you? I had thought better of you. Wikipedia is a perfectly reasonable place to familiarize oneself with terms and facts previously unencountered, and since no one is practicing medicine here I think we'll just continue to use it when we need to, if it's okay with you. If I need technical information of the epidemiology of pubalgia, or a comparison of surgical techniques to decide on which repair to perform, I'll let polynomial pour through the relevant journals and surgical texts, since PubMed only lists abstracts and those are, of course, unacceptably truncated for our purposes here. Or maybe we'll let the surgeons do their surgeon-deal and we internet gurus can just do ours with the help of Wikipedia.

Now, if a hernia has actually been ruled out and the pain is continuing at the same level or is getting worse, it's probably worth an MRI for a diagnosis. I realize that this may not be a priority for your Italian medical system, but in the absence of a diagnosis of what sounds to me like a hernia but is apparently not a hernia, you're really not in a very good position to decide what to do, if anything.

David, are you tender anywhere? Can you touch anywhere with your fingertip to cause the pain to be worse?

This may be an adductor strain. I am interested to know if there is point tenderness directly at the pubic ramus, either unilaterally or bilaterally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So you're one of these guys that is currently participating in the fad of bashing wikipedia as a source for information, even at the simple level we need here, are you?
    Nope. I love wikipedia with all my heart. But since I've been recently dating an M1 med student, after having taken an interest in some of the cases that they study I found that wikipedia is often helpful but insufficient in trying to understand how symptoms present in real life (i.e., something gained through clinical experience). As I wasn't sure if the davidM self-diagnosed or not, I made a belligerent comment.

For what it's worth, I googled Athletic Pubalgia and found this interesting paper.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "Italian medical system"
    Really, that's all you needed to say.

Polynomial, can you provide a link to your doctor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast