starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip, I'm looking for a little help with my squat form. I had a meniscusectomy on 10/31/08 on my left knee. You will notice I tend to shift my weight to the right side while going down and coming out of the hole. I barely notice it when I'm squatting but it shows up pretty blatantly in the videos. I also think I tend to do a bit of a good morning coming up, but I took this video after doing 4-5 sets of box squats so fatigue could be a factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSu2JtVyx6c&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZcNViGtco

Any tips/feedback is appreciated. If you go to my channel you should find a couple videos of me squatting before the surgery that I posted because I was concerned about the hip/favoring one leg. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time.

If you'll just keep your right knee out, the squat would be symmetrical. But why are you doing a high-bar squat 6" below parallel with your eyes looking forward in front of a mirror?

Rip, in dude's defense, I don't think he's in front of a mirror. However, it also looked to me that he was holding the bar with his arms straight underneath it - maybe this is due to the high-bar position. And was the fact that the bar was tilted way over to one side an artifact of the surgery, or does the OP need to make sure to get centered under the bar before lifting it out of the rack?

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm not in front of mirror, there is another bench/squat rack in front of me so it appears that way.

I did notice the bar tilt, I'm pretty sure that tends to happen every time I squat. Thanks for bringing up that point, I'm interested to hear what Rip thinks about it. So in summary, drive my right knee out more and that will fix the weight displacement?

Thanks again

I didn't notice the bar tilt because I don't think it is significant with respect to his question.