starting strength gym

Thread: Lack of ROM to Lock Out - RC Rehab

Default Lack of ROM to Lock Out - RC Rehab

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Had rotator cuff surgery in December to repair a 2cm atypical supraspinatus tear. I have 100% passive ROM and 90% active ROM. After reading all the posts on rehab I feel I have been "babied" in rehab. I have gone against most of PT advice in regards to lifting. I am squatting, dead lifting, rowing and benching with dumbbells. I neglected pressing out of fear. I tried to press yesterday with light dumbbells. I couldn't achieve lockout do to ROM. Should I just keeping pressing and working towards lockout? The PT advised against due to lack of complete ROM. After reading your posts I think I should press.

David

I think you should press and chin.

I will.

A little embarrassed as I can only press an 8lb dumbbell with my rehabbing shoulder. I missed the boat on this one. My pressing strength is gone. I'm squatting 225, deadlifting 235 and rowing with 135. I can only bench 35 dumbbells.

Just ordered four of books and DVD. Looking forward to reading them putting them into practice.

David

Why would you assume that dumbbells would be the preferred way to do either pressing movement? Use the SEARCH FUNCTION again.

I was told by my PT that using dumbbells was safer because it wouldn't lock the shoulder joint into a fixed position. I'll search the forum.

I can't press an Olympic bar yet. I'll have to find a lighter bar until my strength improves. I was using a broomstick to work on ROM. I can use the bar on the bench.

David

If you read my posts about this, you know that I used the rings as a support for the bar. I advise that you do the same, although I did mine 2 weeks post-op whereas you have waited patiently for 8 months for the PT to tell you what to do. I, in contrast, pressed 192 x 1 x 7 last week. Learn from this.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-20-2010 at 01:31 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    After three surgeries to my right shoulder and a separation to my left I've come to the conclusion that most orthos and PTs don't know shit.

If I ever have to rehab another musculoskeletal injury/surgery I will not be following their advice, I assure you.

-Hat