starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL help

Default DL help

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First, two things you are probably tired of hearing: thanks for writing the books and I am amazed how well it's worked for me.
    My question is what to do for grip failure on deadlifts. Searched the site and the grip forum but found conflicting info. And much advice sounds like too much volume.

I would rather not use straps until I get strong. Do you recommned doing the above grip work every session, using grippers, hold the bar in the DL, or something else.

Still solidly in LP for everything else after almost 3 months on SS, but failed today on third rep at 305 DL. Was behind in my DL because a few times I ran out of time and did skipped the DL. Last workout weights over time went 225, 275, 285, 295, then failure today at 305.

295 last workout was tough to grip, so two days ago gripped a pair of 10 pound plates for a minute and gripped some 30 pound dumbells by their ends for about 3 sets of 10 for about 3 seconds.

Data:
    about 205 pounds, down from around 210, 51 y.o.
    SQ: 315 3x5
    BP: 215 3x5
    P: 135 3x5
    PC: 3x5
    Eating clean.

The grip is easy to overtrain. Very easy, in my experience. Beating it to death because you didn't have time to correctly train the deadlift will not solve the problem. And, the actual problem may be that you have small hands/short fingers/fat palms that make gripping a heavy 29mm bar a geometry problem. Stop the extra grip work, get your deadlift training back on track, and if the grip doesn't improve you may have an actual problem to solve. But right now we don't know.

Thanks. Yes on the fat palms. Will drop the DL back to 295 and go up in 5 pound increments.

If I could throw in my two cents Rip, I had grip issues due to my small hands and short digits. Now IF the good doctor does have a grip issue, I found that just a couple sets of RDLs did the trick for me. I use 2x10 at 50% of my working DL weight.

I assume you're using alternating grip? are you using chalk?

How is it that I have not learned to stop assuming the use of chalk?

Guilty. Sorry about leaving that out. Ordered chalk from amazon and will sneak it into my lame gym.
    Using double overhand grip so far, but now will de-load, chalk, double-overhand until I can't, then switch to alternating.

Rippetoe, could you at least suggest a good grip accessory exercise? The grip seems to improve pretty quickly, so adding in a set or two on workout days shouldn't ruin recovery.

What, is hook-grip not cool anymore? My thumbs haven't fallen off yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Somehow you still have faith in humanity? Don't worry Rip, that'll clear right up soon enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast