starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Rack

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The drawing translated gives a 34.92mm hole with a 31.75mm pin to go from front to back, which become a 35mm hole because I have that drill.

So as the rack currently stands its a 35mm DIY replacement bolt. I'd love to know by I keep getting quotes for 50 dollars a bolt minimum from the local couple of shops I rang one place wanted 120 odd without washers. Hence I made my own.

Mark - The bolt size in the pdf pops up as a yellow post-it note. "Barry Vinson - The bolts are 1.25" x 6" shoulder bolts witha heavy washer welded on the flat so that there is a 2" space between the bolt head and the washer" - so diameter of 31.75mm

The book lists them, as you have here as, 1-1/8-7x6 bolt which I translated as a 28.57mm. I was working from the book when I was drawing it my plans and wondered why there was so much clearance given in the tolerance for the bolt?

Do you want a copy of the finished drawing after I finish altering it to read in metric to get everything right for 100x50 channel and metric drills/stock sizes etc?

The bolt is actually 1 1/8 inches. Slop is better than tight, because the pins need to slope. We'd love to have the metric drawing.

+1 on the metric drawing. I didn't learn metric until I went into construction in my early 20's. I thought I had remained "bilingual" until I tried to build a boat to an American plan. I would not want to go through that again. Imperial really is an inherently more difficult system, like going back to a horse after driving a car for 20 years.

I already converted the plans to metric Rip. I'll see if I can do up something nice and pretty for you using a CAD program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    because the pins need to slope
    What are sloping pins used for?

All kinds of things inside and outside the rack. You'll think of some too.

All kinds of things inside and outside the rack. You'll think of some too.
    Is it Classified? C'mon Rip, inquiring minds want to know!

Disclaimer: this is a stupid question, as I have no experience with power racks whatsoever.

Having given the PDF plans to a welder, what else do I need to pick up to make it usable, outside of what he will be getting to build the rack itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Is it Classified? C'mon Rip, inquiring minds want to know!
    Working on some pictures now.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Having given the PDF plans to a welder, what else do I need to pick up to make it usable, outside of what he will be getting to build the rack itself?
    A bar and some plates are very important. A flat bench too.

starting strength coach development program
    A bar and some plates are very important. A flat bench too.
    I literally slapped myself upon reading this for not foreseeing that answer, albeit with a rueful smirk. I meant - though I suspect you know this anyway - things to hold the rack together or hold the pins in place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast