starting strength gym

Thread: A different trainee

Default A different trainee

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

First off, I'd like to thank you for the work you've done thus far in publishing your books. I own both SSv2 and PP and have read both at least twice.

I'd like to explain my situation, if I could and see what your suggestions might be.

First, a little background information:
    I am 34, skinny-ish, and have pretty poor recovery in general (recently found out this is probably hormonal and are working to correct). I guess I'd be a classic ecto but not one that under-eats. I am currently using the "gym version" that was posted over at bb.com to work back up to previous strengths lost due to some time off because of injuries.

Right now I am doing shift work which has me out of town for 2 weeks and home for the other 2 weeks of the month. I am also during that time on working 12 hour shifts. I don't generally sleep very well away from home and so I get about 6 hours per night if I am lucky. All of this coupled with my already poor recovery ability is taking a heavy toll on me.

I can add weight to the bar but I started out so light that that is kind of a given (again, working back from injuries). I don't feel that I am going to be able to get real heavy in my current situation and recover properly.

So, I guess my question would be:
    What would you do with a trainee who came into your gym that for 2 weeks out of the month worked 12 hour shifts and only got 6 hours of sleep per night?

I am giving serious consideration to cut down to a 2 day something similar to this:
    Mon: Squats, Standing Press, Pullups
    Thurs: Deads, Bench Press, Rows from the floor

Something could be done on Saturday if I had the energy, maybe accessories or something Crossfit-ish.

I'm guessing I could still go straight linear given low starting weights. Just as an example: My max squat was 225x4 (3 days before the tweak), and Monday night I did 140x5x3. My plan on the gym version was to microload and work up while concentrating on form (bad form caused the tweak). I guess a 3x5 approach would work with a 2 day as well, eh?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and Dave told me you were a red wine guy but I just read something about Sam Adams Boston, wtf?

I'd say that an athlete that can only train reliably half the time is a part-time athlete, and will not get very good results. It is unfortunate, but if these are your constraints, your progress will be shit until you get the situation fixed. All the other details are moot, because with your history anything less than optimum programming and adherence will yield poor results. Sorry, but you don't need me lying to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd say that an athlete that can only train reliably half the time is a part-time athlete, and will not get very good results. It is unfortunate, but if these are your constraints, your progress will be shit until you get the situation fixed. All the other details are moot, because with your history anything less than optimum programming and adherence will yield poor results. Sorry, but you don't need me lying to you.
    Thanks Mark, I figured the response would be along those lines. I appreciate your candor.

Actually I figured I'd get something like: "Work less & sleep more."

Thank you for your time.