starting strength gym

Thread: Starting strength and proprioception issues

Default Starting strength and proprioception issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I found your videos on YouTube which lead me to buying starting strength and I’m reading through it right now. Long story short, my wife and I have always enjoyed working out together. She’s 31 I’m 35. In February of 2017 she was hit head on by an impaired driver. She suffered a TBI and several small strokes. She’s made a great recovery and is doing well but as a result of her injuries her proprioception is screwed up. So during complex movements her body doesn’t move the way her brain is telling it to. So moving a free barbell isn’t an option for her. I think starting strength would be a great program for her but what can we do to make it possible for her? I’ve been looking at Smith machines or power tech machines but I wanted to get your opinion before we spend the money.

Thanks

What is her status now? Can she walk normally, balance, stand up/sit down with no trouble? Any permanent paralysis or vision problems?

She went through a month of inpatient rehab and 8 months of 3 day a week outpatient rehab. She can sit, stand, walk, drive, and take care of herself. No paralysis or vision problems.She has some fine motor issues. She has trouble with hair and makeup and hand writing. She’s a Physician Assistant and has been back to work full time for almost a year now.

I should add she’s been doing beach body workouts since the spring of this year. She gets through the warm ups just fine but once the workouts start and the moves start to get more complex she has to struggle to get her arms and legs to cooperate. So she doesn’t end up getting much out of it and it’s frustrating for her.

Ryan, we are all pulling for you and your wife. She is a brave woman and its people like her who have to struggle through a TBI recovery that provide the example for the rest of us. She is amazing if she is at the point of considering to squat. I remember my Mom's recovery and all the balance issues. Many people can't consider how difficult it is, having to relearn how to stand and then walk again.
    And it's not just her - your involvement and support in her recovery. Good luck to both of you. Please tell her some guy on the internet said that she is his hero. Because she is.

Where do you live? I see no reason for her not to start training with a bar. I have trained people far more profoundly disabled than her, and they got good results. But she'll need coaching, and I wouldn't recommend that she try to do this without it.

Thanks!

White Hall, Illinois. It’s about an hour and a half north of St. Louis

Can you make it to Chicago?

Yes, it’s about 4 hours from here, but my parents live about an hour south of Chicago.

Karl Schudt SSC is your man. Make this happen.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanskol83 View Post
    Thanks!

White Hall, Illinois. It’s about an hour and a half north of St. Louis
    There are two great coaches in St. Louis. Lots of good options for you. SSCA : Coaching