starting strength gym
Page 3114 of 3114 FirstFirst ... 21142614301430643104311231133114
Results 31,131 to 31,132 of 31132

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have heard that FEMA is essentially absent from the path of Helene. Perhaps this explains some of it: https://x.com/Oilfield_Rando/status/1840758608092397885

I live in Western NC in what feels like one of the harder hit towns: Black Mountain. This is the first real connectivity I've had since the storm. There's little to no cellular, no electricity, no water (!), and no gas being pumped. All of western nc is without these basic services...including DRINKING WATER. So far, there is zero commerce.. Think about how important drinking water is to survival.

The book "One Second After" takes place in my town (Black Mountain). Feels like a blueprint now. The parallels are spooky all the way down to me storing an elderly neighbor's insulin in my fridge since I still have a generator that I run a few hours a day. Fortunately, we have a "cold plunge" in an outdoor farm tub; it now serves as our drinking water (after filtration). Today, I
    drove I40 and saw abandoned cars on the highway that ran out of gas due to lack of services (no power at gas stations to pump). People sleeping in their cars at the gas pump in town waiting for electricity so they can fill their cars; still waiting on day 3. Nobody thinks to get a generator on those gas pumps.

It wasn't an EMP, but it had a similar effect.

Each night, the hum of generators gets quieter and quieter as the modern lifestyle fades away. It's pitch black out there. Today, so many helicopters overhead...but nobody landing or bringing any drinking water. The town finally quit waiting and hired a company to bring in tanker trucks of water. Each person who can get to the water line and is willing to wait, gets 1 gallon....bring your own container. Many people are on foot; no gas. People lined up 2 days before the tankers finally arrived; they said they were waiting on FEMA...waiting on "hope".

The Mount Mitchell repeater (ham radio) has been a huge help. One country radio station has recently taken the lead and providing 24/7 information. we are back to a pre-phone times.

I'm isolated from how this is being presented. It was the equivalent of a infrastructure bomb: roads, BRIDGES, grid, communication, water, supply lines, commerce, everything gone. Nobody has ever seen anything like this. We keep getting reports of people unable to get out of their small mountain community and have no resources (like drinking water). They are trapped. Hell, we were all trapped in the black-out zone of WNC until today I26 cleared so you can get out to SC. But, you need gas to do that.

I doubt I'll have internet again for a long while. I don't need help; my family is fine. I spent the storm redirecting water, and my property is ok. We were lucky. Just sharing this bizarre experience. I'm extremely sleep deprived, so take that into consideration when reading this.

starting strength coach development program
    You're a good man, Kits, so you'll be okay. If you need anything we can provide, let us know when you can.