starting strength gym

Thread: Questions on Your Reflections: Beer, Relationships, and Life Advice

Default Questions on Your Reflections: Beer, Relationships, and Life Advice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Subject: Questions on Your Reflections: Beer, Relationships, and Life Advice

Dear Mr. Rippetoe,

It has been a while since I embarked on the Starting Strength programme five years ago. Since then, having diligently followed a regimen incorporating squats, deadlifts, presses, bench presses, power cleans, and chin-ups, I have reaped considerable benefits in various facets of my life. The physical and mental fortitude cultivated through the programme has served me exceptionally well, providing a solid foundation to navigate challenges such as illness, demanding academic periods, and military training. It is indeed fascinating that, as mentioned in the first chapter of Starting Strength, I—once someone who might have been perceived as overly concerned with intellect and the soul—have come to fully appreciate the profound influence of physical strength.

There is a particular passage that has left a lasting impression on me, as memorable as the lessons you imparted about the significance of strength. It is from the opening paragraph of your article on The Texas Method posted on the Starting Strength website, and I shall quote it directly: "I’d do different. I’d spend more time on my calculus homework. I’d drink better beer. I’d spend less time trying to date more women and spend more time trying to get other things accomplished."

I am curious about why you chose these particular pursuits to reflect upon if you could return to your younger days. Nonetheless, deeply moved by the philosophy of Starting Strength, I embraced the seemingly light-hearted advice about beer and diligently applied it to my own youth. I devoted myself to my studies in mathematics, savored better beer, and refrained from squandering time on fruitless romantic pursuits. While this might seem somewhat naive to some, it was a period in my life when I sought guidance from a respected source.

Forgive the length of my query. Having now moved beyond my university days and completed my military service, I remain intrigued by your perspective. Could you shed some light on why these three areas were chosen for reflection? Was it merely a playful observation, or was it informed by your own life experiences? Additionally, if you would be inclined to offer further advice to this youngster, might you share another piece of wisdom?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Oh, I nearly forgot to include the traditional Asian greeting! Please bear with my less-than-perfect English; it’s a work in progress, much like my squats.

Yours sincerely,

JWS

Quote Originally Posted by JWS View Post
    Could you shed some light on why these three areas were chosen for reflection? Was it merely a playful observation, or was it informed by your own life experiences?
    It seemed like good advice at the time. Still does.