starting strength gym

Thread: Quick question and potential for trolling.

Default Quick question and potential for trolling.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So here's the story, I've gained 15lbs since I started, from 163 to 178.
    I'm 6'3 on a good day so still a lot of weight to go but anyways, I've stalled in my bench and my press.
    It's pretty damned light weight compared to what I keep reading is normal. Press stalled at 100lbs and bench failed at 160(had to dump the bar on last rep of last set). Squat was 205 before some back pain then I switched to front squats then went to see my Olift coach and he just put me on high bar so I'm at 155lbs and I'll be climbing quickly in the squat, deadlift is at 255 and I feel a stall coming.

Now, I'm sure I'll get trolled for this but I teach and compete in ballroom dancing. I teach an eight hour day then practice a minimum of 2 hours everyday. To the surprise of many, ballroom is really hard work. It does a lot of things but it ain't going to make me strong, hence the reason I started SS.

I see an Olifting coach on Mondays for technique and just wanting to be a badass, then I do my 3 SS workouts plus all this dancing and I'm getting burnt out.

I refuse to stop dancing and I refuse to stop a strength program. What can I do to make gains(however slow they might be) and still recover?

Anyways, thanks for any help you can give!

I'm 27, I was thinking of dropping to two + the Olifting as well. If I continue to stall I was thinking of 531 as I'm a huge Dan John fan and he claims to love it.

I'm totally okay with getting big fast, I'm very underweight for my height and have been loving the added mass thus far.

My goals are to be a beast. First goal is to get stronger(for no reason other than strength itself, and secretly I think being more powerful will make my dancing a lot better), then get bigger(just looking bigger/stronger makes you show up on the dance floor, and I've dreamed of being the first good personal trainer and I think you should look the part). And when I'm big enough, 200+, I'd like a shot at fitness model competitions.

Missing a rep isn't stalling. (not clear if you're using that just for illustration or if that is why you say you stalled). just repeat the weight next time. Missing 3 times in a row is stalling.

Assuming you did stall or you do stall... time to microload the press and the BP.

If you're on your feet 10 hours a day for work/practice and you're Olfiting then yeah, 2 times a week may be a good idea sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by drock View Post
    Now, I'm sure I'll get trolled for this but I teach and compete in ballroom dancing.
    This is not problematic at all.

It's pretty damned light weight compared to what I keep reading is normal. Press stalled at 100lbs and bench failed at 160(had to dump the bar on last rep of last set). Squat was 205 before some back pain then I switched to front squats then went to see my Olift coach and he just put me on high bar so I'm at 155lbs and I'll be climbing quickly in the squat, deadlift is at 255 and I feel a stall coming.
    This, on the other hand...

Why did you switch to front squats? Because of the back pain? Have you ever had someone knowledgeable about the way Rip teaches the squat check your form? You can high-bar squat if you want, of course, and if your coach wants you to high-bar squat, you may feel obligated to listen to him. But at your level of strength, you should probably low-bar squat if you can. If you want to do so, you shouldn't let back pain discourage you from it without taking a look at your form.

So here's the story, I've gained 15lbs since I started, from 163 to 178.
    I'm 6'3 on a good day so still a lot of weight to go
    I'm totally okay with getting big fast, I'm very underweight for my height and have been loving the added mass thus far.

My goals are to be a beast
    How long has it been since you started?

And now I'm going to channel Rip for a second:
    Tell me about your diet.

Dancing is great. Keep it in. While an uncommon activity, perhaps, lots of people work in construction and other jobs where they are on their feet all day and still make progress. You can too.

I would drop the Oly lifts. It seems like added volume and energy that detracts from your recovery and, although the Oly lifts are fun, they are not really part of your short term goals: mass and strnegth. Starting Strength is perfect for building what you want: more strength and mass. You are a beginner and that is the exact demographic for whom the program is designed.

Diet is important here, but the bigger feature will be adequate rest. A lot of folks think you can eat your way into recovery and growth. True, to a degree. But you need proper sleep and rest. You need a solid 8 hours per day. Stick with the program as written. You can do it.