starting strength gym

Thread: Weight gain problems

Default Weight gain problems

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Robert, I’m 45 and trying to gain weight. I just last week switched from NLP to Intermediate Texas Method after 6 months. I gained 20 kg pretty easily in the first 4 months but now I’ve kinda been stuck at around 99 kg. I started at 80kg at 14-15% and now 99.3 at 18%. I upped my nutrition to roughly 5000 calories, but focused on protein - getting minimum 250 G protein for the past week and a half, but I’m still barely gaining weight. I put on only about .4 kg in the past week and a half. One note is that for the beginning of my NLP I was doing GOMAD and I had to stop due to gastric issues that made it unbearable. Now I’m eating to the point where I feel nauseous all the time, but finding it very frustrating to see the scale staying almost the same. I doubt I can eat more at this point. I even slammed the biggest greasiest Langós as a snack over the weekend just to add an extra 500-700 calories. Any other tricks? What about this supplement called Ecdysterone? I’m supplementing only protein and creatine at the moment. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Why don't you just take a weight gainer if you are having trouble eating. Adding protein calories is only going to make this miserable. When calories get that high, adding fat is not a bad idea. Where do your carbs fall now?

Hi Robert, thank you for your response! Yes, my daily protein is not a problem at this point. Oh I forgot, I just started supplementing maltodextrin on my workout days 40g pre and 200g post. And I do take a PPI daily now for reflux. Sure I could add a weight gainer. Is there a specific type of gainer you’d recommend as far as the content?

I don’t shy away from fat and use sauces and butter pretty liberally. I like to cook with butter and ghee.

I’m trying to get meticulous with counting my nutrition the past couple days which I dislike … but for the past two days I ate for carbs:

Monday, workout day 570g, 160g fat.
    Tuesday, rest day, 365g carbs, 206g fat.

Protein on both days was well over 250g if not closer to 300g+.

However on a side note I did weight in this morning at 99.8kg still at 17.9% body fat… .4kg heavier than when I wrote this… so maybe it’s starting to work? However I’m still facing the misery of never wanting to eat.

Weight gainers are high in both protein and carbs. Sometimes fat too. Optimum Pro Complex Serious Mass is my standard go to. Works real well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Weight gainers are high in both protein and carbs. Sometimes fat too. Optimum Pro Complex Serious Mass is my standard go to. Works real well.
    OK, I’ll look into it. I use their protein hydrolysate powder already. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    OK, Robert, I’ve started drinking Serious Mass now and tracking my meals. I’m aiming for minimum 4000 cal per day — 250p 450c 135f. (Those are minimums) Do you think that sounds reasonable for a 100kg 6’2” 45 y.o? The first nearly full week and I gained about .4 kg. I’ll see how next Monday looks.

Hi Robert, so I seems to have dialed in my eating. I’m now gaining 1 kilo per week. Body fat also seems to be going up by .1% per week as well.

I’m currently progressing my strength effectively using the Texas Method. My goal is to reach 120 kg.

Does this sound like a reasonable pace or am I adding too much fat and gaining weight too fast?

I’m eating 4300 on average with a minimum of 250g protein, 470g carbs, and 140g fat.

starting strength coach development program
    You are doing just fine. We have no idea how much your fat:muscle gain ratio is. Just keep training and measure your waistline. Glad you are getting strong.