starting strength gym

Thread: Clarifying how to reach goals

Default Clarifying how to reach goals

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello,

I'm a 43 year old male looking for some advice on my journey to get healthy, strong and look better while i'm at it. I'm newish to this. Anna maria joakes is my online barbell coach. I've been wildly inconsistent for several years which is why i say i still new. I have taken steps to adjust my schedule so i can train 3 times a week. Right now my squat is 225 for 3x5, press is 140, bench is 205, deadlift if 315. I weight 249, 43 inch waist and 27 % bodyfat per dexa scan. I work as a plumber so i have active physical job.

I'm a big boned guy and always have been, so i don't have any expectations of weighing 215. My question is around how to think about the next 12-24 months with nutrition. Of course i don't like right now the way i feel or look. I would like to get my belly fat down. What would be your suggestion for me?

Thank you in advance,

Alan

Thanks for sharing. Anna Marie is a good friend, glad she is helping you get strong over there. Id' say you could probably benefit from losing some body fat but like you said if you are big boned then you won't get super light. I do think as you get stronger your body composition will change and you do have room to keep going. How tall are you? Without knowing the specifics of your diet, which is beyond the board, I can't really answer that question beyond saying that your protein needs to stay up, calories can probably come down from some combination of fat and carbs.

Thanks, I’m 6’2.

I’m thinking about ignoring everything until I get my squat to 315, deadlift to 405, bench to 250 and press to 185. Than see where I am. In my gut I don’t think I’m strong enough to go on a true “cut”.

Thank you. My gut tells me to just focus everything on getting my squat to 315, my deadlift to 405, my bench to 250 and my press to 185. Than see where I am and adjust from there.

Think bigger on the bench press and the press.