starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: muscle ups

Default muscle ups

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    do you guys think they are legit? they look pretty cool actually

this guy does 20 after doing a bunch of cool stuff, at the end of the vid. 1 arm weighted pullup included. this guy should really do parkour

edit: 1:00 for lack of bs
    Last edited by skipbeat; 11-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.

I can do them but its only for show. They can hurt like hell.

no functional carry over? they seem like a pull up, dip, powerclean hybrid... dont smack me, oly lifters

Limited carryover. Everyone I've seen who performs solid muscle-ups (i.e. no kipping) has extremely skinny legs. Those who devote time to the squat and deadlift and claim to be able to do a muscle-up are kippers (i.e. CrossFitters).

I won't deny that the requisite upper body strength for a muscle-up is fairly high, but it's just made possible with weightless legs. I bet that dude can't even squat 250.

For what it's worth, I can do 75 consecutive dips and 30 consecutive pull-ups, but cannot do one muscle-up. Perhaps I'm not kipping enough. Perhaps my legs are too heavy. Perhaps I just suck.

you're one of the skinnier, really strong guys on the board too. hmm, i've never tried one to be honest. they just look impressive. i remember at my old school one of the gym teachers woke up at 4 am to row for 2 hours everyday, and he could bust out a billion. the early memory of probably my first time in the gym has stuck with me since.

he did have skinny legs, though.

Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    Limited carryover. Everyone I've seen who performs solid muscle-ups (i.e. no kipping) has extremely skinny legs. Those who devote time to the squat and deadlift and claim to be able to do a muscle-up are kippers (i.e. CrossFitters).

I won't deny that the requisite upper body strength for a muscle-up is fairly high, but it's just made possible with weightless legs. I bet that dude can't even squat 250.

For what it's worth, I can do 75 consecutive dips and 30 consecutive pull-ups, but cannot do one muscle-up. Perhaps I'm not kipping enough. Perhaps my legs are too heavy. Perhaps I just suck.
    I can do 3-5 consecutive dead-hang muscle-ups (on rings), and I just squated 275 for working sets on the LP. I could also do this when I was squatting 315 for 3 sets of 5. It takes practice and strength, but it is possible to do them without kipping and with lower body strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I can do 3-5 consecutive dead-hang muscle-ups (on rings), and I just squated 275 for working sets on the LP. I could also do this when I was squatting 315 for 3 sets of 5. It takes practice and strength, but it is possible to do them without kipping and with lower body strength.
    Damn, I suck.

I haven't focused on rings work in a while. I've only been doing occasional tick-tocks, L-sits, ring dips and ring chin-ups as part of some interval training circuits. Been heavily focused on barbell stuff as of late. I am able to hold a perfect back lever for about 5 seconds now. In a few years, when I've reached my PL goals, I'll give the muscle-ups another go.

You have a better back lever than me, if that makes you feel any better. I've done a lot of pull-ups throughout my life, so that probably helped a lot. You might want to try doing pull-ups all the way to your nipples; considering how many pull-ups and dips you can do, your weak link is probably the transition.

Ill be honest, I kip to do them and I also only do them on a bar because we have no rings at the gym. I look fucking awful doing them. Which is easier. Bar or rings?

starting strength coach development program
    Rings are heaps easier.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast