starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glute Ham Raise suggestions?

Default Glute Ham Raise suggestions?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Has anybody used this machine? I train at home and can't spend the typical $500+

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory..../Developer-GHD
    Last edited by ban0001; 04-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.

I own that very glute ham raise. I dont recommend it unless your particularly weak. Within about 1 month of owning it, I could already do 40 unweighted repetitions and 3x10 with 50# without struggling greatly. Basically, the way the machine is designed makes performing them alot easier then say, an elitefts model. I guess you could just pile on the weight, although I haven't tried that. My knee starting feeling funny so I stopped using it. I dont think that was because of the machine but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Regin Smidur; 04-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    I own that very glute ham raise. I dont recommend it unless your particularly weak. Within about 1 month of owning it, I could already do 40 unweighted repetitions and 3x10 with 50# without struggling greatly. Basically, the way the machine is designed makes performing them alot easier then say, an elitefts model. I guess you could just pile on the weight, although I haven't tried that. My knee starting feeling funny so I stopped using it. I dont think that was because of the machine but I could be wrong.
    Why is it easier?

There are a lot of ways to set up the equivalent exercise in the gym, but I guess if you train at home that's out of the question.

Do you have someone that can hold your feet down? Much harder, but you can start out by doing slow negatives and eventually work your way up to doing full concentric reps.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Why is it easier?
    I have no idea. I've just read repeatedly from people like dave tate that a GHR should be very hard at first, and if you can already bust out 10 or more repetitions on your first try you got a poorly designed one, which coincides with my experience.
    Last edited by Regin Smidur; 04-29-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Can someone explain to me what this is? And how it compares to the typical GHR

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

Can someone explain to me what this is? And how it compares to the typical GHR
    Its a 45 degree back extension, and it doesn't really allow the bodyweight hamstring curl.

For a home gym, honestly, not a bad price. Plus you can do back raises also. Glutes hams and back raises are nice accessory movements. I say "nice" because I don't know how Rip feels about them. The 45 is just another version of the back raise.

At my new gym we have this GHR that has the half circle pad but right behind the half circle pad is a flat rectangle pad that my knees always hit... its make the exercise to easy...

starting strength coach development program
    Look at Youtube and the internet for suggestions.
    I stick my feet underneath the couch.
    Last edited by Squat1; 11-30-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast