starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One month to train for a meet

Default One month to train for a meet

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a meet on July 9th. What should I be doing? I hit 2 425 squat singles and 2 225 paused bench singles today. I want to total at least 1100 at the meet. I can squat 405 for a set of 5, so I think once I get used to squatting heavy singles, I will get a lot better at them, but my bench is a real weak point. How much can I expect to improve it in a month, and what would be the best way to do it?

Anyone?

I am doing my first meet in October... so if I give you advice it is sort of like the blind leading the blind.

If I were you, I would figure out where my bench is stalling and try to throw in accessory stuff to help. I do closegrip bench, OHP (of different varieties), BB Rows and some other rows, Pulldowns, Tricep stuff, and I just added in DB bench press too. I would also work on getting a good arch and start practicing my competition bench setup. Some feds let you just touch any part of your foot on the ground, others require the foot to be flat. Get a good grip width too that is also within regs.

As for sets/reps, I would start doing heavier 3's, 2's and 1's more often, again to just get used to moving the weight.

I might add in some board pressing too, just a 1-2 board. My slow spot is a couple of inches off my chest, once I get through that, I got it. I think some board pressing after your normal work for a few sets would help too. It would get you used to holding heavier weight too.

Again, I am pretty much a novice, but if I was in your position I might try some of the stuff I mentioned. I hope you get a more experienced lifter to give you some better advice.

Hey hamburgerfan, pick up a copy of Starr's Defying Gravity.

For a first meet I would not worry too much about hitting a total. More important to make sure you can follow the directions and get green lights. Be very conservative on each of your first lifts.

Get plenty of rest and food during the competition.

Getting a meet under your belt will help you plan for the second one.

I assume it's raw. Can you use wraps? If you want to lift more, buy them now and learn how to use them, it will help more than you think and it doesn't take more than 3-4 sessions to get the hang of it. Justin from 70's big likes people to do triples with TM on Friday if you are training for a meet, I would try some triples as well. Learn the commands and do some singles with them so you don't fuck up at the platform.

I was doing some more singles today, at 425. I could only get one, and failed at my second attempt. I can do a set of 5 at 405 and a triple at 420. There is no way in hell that 425 is my real max. I just reach a sticking point a few inches above parallel, in the half squat position. What can I do to fix this? DE box squats?

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I was doing some more singles today, at 425. I could only get one, and failed at my second attempt. I can do a set of 5 at 405 and a triple at 420. There is no way in hell that 425 is my real max. I just reach a sticking point a few inches above parallel, in the half squat position. What can I do to fix this? DE box squats?
    Underrecovery? I have found that tapering has a massive effect on demonstrating strength, so your true max is way beyond that.

I also think that pretty much everyone has their sticking point there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Underrecovery? I have found that tapering has a massive effect on demonstrating strength, so your true max is way beyond that.

I also think that pretty much everyone has their sticking point there.
    I'm taking a light half week starting monday, so I'll find out next week if that's the case.

starting strength coach development program
    I just read your log, and by the looks of it, you went heavy 3x5 on mon, attempted 3 90%+ singles on wed, and then 2 90%+ singles yesterday... that is overboard, and it is not suprising to me that you are missing weights/reps. what is your programming looking like? I can't tell from your log... you mention TM, Starr and Dan John programming all within the last few weeks. this is programming adhd, and is not going to help you get ready for a meet... pick something and stick with it.

If you are doing the meet for the experience, I would just train normal and take the last half week off before the meet (as has been recommended by Rip and others here before). If you are doing the meet with a specific goal in mind (i.e. 1100 total) and have your heart set on that, then there are definitely ways to set yourself up for best chance at success.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast