starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I thought I was squeezing the hell outta my back and it was straight but looking at this video it doesn't look like I"m even squeezing it. Trying to figure out if this looks okay or if I need to correct something. Any advice for squeezing to make the back straight without dropping the hips a lot? I can't seem to get it more straight than this.

Thanks guys.

I'm 6'4

Try setting your Valsalva, then squoze, then pull. This is opposed to trying to combine holding your breath and setting your back at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Try setting your Valsalva, then squoze, then pull. This is opposed to trying to combine holding your breath and setting your back at the same time.
    isn't that what I'm already doing? Maybe not I'll have to refilm. I though I was doing it in consecutive order, deep breath, chest up and pull.

Step 4, you need to squeeze your chest up more; rotate your chest/rib cage up through your shoulders while keeping your hips up. You may need to extend your knees a little to keep your hips where they should be (which will put your shanks in a slightly more vertical position than you currently have them at the start of the pull).

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    isn't that what I'm already doing? Maybe not I'll have to refilm. I though I was doing it in consecutive order, deep breath, chest up and pull.
    You may be, but on some, particularly toward the end, they get blurred together. Perhaps fatigue?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Step 4, you need to squeeze your chest up more; rotate your chest/rib cage up through your shoulders while keeping your hips up. You may need to extend your knees a little to keep your hips where they should be (which will put your shanks in a slightly more vertical position than you currently have them at the start of the pull).
    Might be a dumb question but when you say through my shoulders, what do you mean? Using the lats to pull back?

You may be, but on some, particularly toward the end, they get blurred together. Perhaps fatigue?
    It's definitely possible. I know I have a few pauses in between reps but it's getting heavy for now and I feel it especially after rep 3.

Maybe I can try a different sequence? Get into position(back still rounded), straighten back and take a deep breath, then squeeze chest up more then pull?

Show your nipples to the wall in front of you. It will be uncomfortable. Also , yes, squeeze your lats too, but that keeps the bat close to you. Rotating the chest up engages the spinal erectors necessary for a flat back.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Show your nipples to the wall in front of you. It will be uncomfortable. Also , yes, squeeze your lats too, but that keeps the bat close to you. Rotating the chest up engages the spinal erectors necessary for a flat back.
    I'll post another video Friday. Before I video taped myself I thought I was squeezing evertyhing very tight but the video doesn't even look like I'm attempting. I"ll try again and post back. Thanks for your input. Sucks working out alone sometimes.

Don't be quite so hard on yourself; your squeeze is noticeably there. I don't think anyone here thinks that your having any severe or even moderate flexion.

What helps me straighten everything out is by using the bar as leverage to straighten out my back. Think about trying to flatten your back with absolutely no leverage, just leaning over. Now think if you have a 300+ bar sitting on the ground to leverage with. Now you can engage your lats by pulling or "flexing" against the bar. At the bottom when setting up envision (but don't actually DO it) lifting the bar by just extending your back. In short, use the bar to aid you in tightening everything up.

Have you ever done yoga?? Think "upward dog". Your back obviously won't and shouldn't go into that much extension, but trying to put it in that much extension will get it straight. (Note: in upward dog I think your head is point up usually; don't do that, just keep your head down.)

These cues work for me. See if they work for you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Don't be quite so hard on yourself; your squeeze is noticeably there. I don't think anyone here thinks that your having any severe or even moderate flexion.

What helps me straighten everything out is by using the bar as leverage to straighten out my back. Think about trying to flatten your back with absolutely no leverage, just leaning over. Now think if you have a 300+ bar sitting on the ground to leverage with. Now you can engage your lats by pulling or "flexing" against the bar. At the bottom when setting up envision (but don't actually DO it) lifting the bar by just extending your back. In short, use the bar to aid you in tightening everything up.

Have you ever done yoga?? Think "upward dog". Your back obviously won't and shouldn't go into that much extension, but trying to put it in that much extension will get it straight. (Note: in upward dog I think your head is point up usually; don't do that, just keep your head down.)

These cues work for me. See if they work for you.
    Sometimes it's all about the cues. Thank you I'll try this tomorrow and come post back. I've been thinking about getting a 3" belt as well after reading Rip's article on Deadlift and the 4" belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast