starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any drawbacks to one lift per day version of TM?

Default Any drawbacks to one lift per day version of TM?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had the idea of combining ID and VD lastnight and after reviewing PPST3 it's actually a variation discussed in the book, the one-lift-per-day method. I'm wondering if there are any particular drawbacks to this method? The only negative mentioned in the book is that it _may_ not provide enough stimulus to produce progress, so basically as long as it's enough to spur progress for me in particular there's nothing wrong?

Thats correct

No but you would almost certainly make better progress and increase your work capacity by doing more than 1 lift per day. Is there a reason you want to do 1 lift?

As an anecdote, I found that I made little progress doing what you plan because I wasn't strong enough. So I needed multiple sessions with the lifts every week. If you're a 500lb squatter you might find that's enough stimulus to only squat once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    No but you would almost certainly make better progress and increase your work capacity by doing more than 1 lift per day. Is there a reason you want to do 1 lift?

As an anecdote, I found that I made little progress doing what you plan because I wasn't strong enough. So I needed multiple sessions with the lifts every week. If you're a 500lb squatter you might find that's enough stimulus to only squat once a week.
    1 lift per day refers to the main lift, but there's also accessory work. So for example, the squat day for the week may go as follows:

340x5 (PR)
    295x4x5
    Barbell Hip Thrust 3x5
    Good Morning/SLDL 3x10

Similarly with this method there'd also be a separate deadlift day and that'd have accessories, probably including front squats, so the deadlift day would help drive the squat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballad View Post
    but there's also accessory work.
    Barbell Hip Thrust 3x5
    ??
    Not sure what to say here.
    My suggestion would be to remove this accessory work, or at least alter it.
    Change "Barbell" to "Alone with my girl", and do that accessory work anywhere, anytime, but the gym sessions.

M-T

Due to work pressure/a aging parent that needs assistance I'm running the one lift a day seven sets of five reps, I'm making progress and I don't feel GUILTY that I'm not doing anything, is it optimal ?, I don't really know but at least I'm doing something and I like the single minded focus on just one task, it's easy to visualize a beginning and a end and my lifts are going up and up.

23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaI...648C1EC4DAC01E

(I choose to lift rather than walk for 30 minutes, I enjoy it.)
    Last edited by hunter308; 11-02-2014 at 02:27 AM.

I'm running one lift per day with rotating rep ranges. The best part of it for me is with the wife/kids/work and BJJ it allows me to run a 60 min session in the early am and be done. It is certainly not optimal for quick progress, but it works for me. I also dropped all assistance which for me is a recovery thing.

Not sure where you are located but in Minnesota getting to lift more often and warm your core in the am is great.
    Last edited by Scott Henderson; 11-02-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Henderson View Post
    Not sure where you are located but in Minnesota getting to lift more often and warm your core in the am is great.
    Agreed. I have been lifting in the AM four days/week on an upper/lower split. Now that it is cold out, I am going to add 2 more days and do my GPP (chins, abs, curls, and conditioning) on those 2 extra days.

To the OP: I did the one lift per day program for a couple months and I am now doing a split that looks like:
    Day 1: Int Press, Vol Bench
    Day 2: Int DL, Vol Squat
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Int Bench, Vol Press
    Day 5: Int Squat, Vol DL

About the only pro of the 1 lift per day program is that the workout can go quicker because you only have to warm up for one lift. If you have severe time limits or you are so strong that you can only squat once per week, then it might be the best option.

On a split like I am doing you hit each lift twice a week which is great for mastering technique. The workouts take slightly longer because of the warm up and set up for the second lift. Because of the upper/lower nature of the program the warm up for the second lift should be minimal and you will only hit the low back hard twice per week.

In my experience, you will still need to squat 3x a week, at least with an HLM-style progression. On non-heavy days, the squat can function as warmup.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    Agreed. I have been lifting in the AM four days/week on an upper/lower split. Now that it is cold out, I am going to add 2 more days and do my GPP (chins, abs, curls, and conditioning) on those 2 extra days.

To the OP: I did the one lift per day program for a couple months and I am now doing a split that looks like:

About the only pro of the 1 lift per day program is that the workout can go quicker because you only have to warm up for one lift. If you have severe time limits or you are so strong that you can only squat once per week, then it might be the best option.

On a split like I am doing you hit each lift twice a week which is great for mastering technique. The workouts take slightly longer because of the warm up and set up for the second lift. Because of the upper/lower nature of the program the warm up for the second lift should be minimal and you will only hit the low back hard twice per week.
    Do you have any sample numbers to go with this workout?

It looks interesting

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast