starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Squat- 170lbs final set of 3x5. i only noticed afterward that my legs got sort of cut off, but maybe there is something useful to see there.
    Deadlift- 210lbs final set of 1x5

My SS training log, if it matters.

Thank you for checking!

Squat: This is a terrible video. Get one that includes all of you and is shot from the rear 45 degree angle.

1. The hooks are too high. Lower them one notch.
    2. Get set and brace yourself harder. Valsalva hard.
    3. I think your stance is messed up, but I can't tell as I can't see anything below the top of your knee.
    4. You have no hip drive (possibly in part due to #3). At the beginning, break at the knees and chest simultaneously and then aim your chest at the ground right away. Keep it aimed at the ground until you are about halfway back up.
    5. You are shallow (almost certainly due to #3).
    6. You are leading up with your chest. Don't lift your head, don't lift your chest.

Deadlift: Don't watch Hafthor deadlift and don't mimic what he does.

1. Your stance is too wide. Narrow it to half the current width.
    2. Set yourself harder and lift your chest.
    3. Take the slack out of the bar before you pull.
    4. When you initiate the pull, pull up and back and lead with your chest.
    5. The point of the deadlift is the "up" part. Set the thing down quicker than you lift it.

You need to eat and gain some wait. You are way too thin and scrawny at 6+ feet in height.

Thank you for the pointers. I saw that the squat video was terrible only after it loaded to youtube. sorry about that. I will adjust my filming at the next session. Here is my first set that I caught slightly lower: IMG 0455 MOV 1 - YouTube don't know if it helps, but it is slightly less terrible than the posted one and you can see my knees.

I have been having trouble hitting my squat depth. My feet are slightly more than shoulder width apart and feet point outward around 45 degrees. I try separating my knees as much as I can so they do not come forward. I have been working on the head lift, maybe i will try the tennis ball trick.

I will adjust deadlift accordingly.

As for my weight, I started around 145 and am up to 175. It is getting there, but I've got a little ways to go. Thank you for all the advice