starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training 2x Per Day

Default Training 2x Per Day

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I love it. Been doing it when I'm able. Usually I'll do upper body stuff in the AM then lower body stuff PM but not always. Example: Today 7x5 bench, 3x5 paused bench in AM, 7x2 heavy squat, 2x10 light squat in afternoon.

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone have any experience w/ it?

This is what I do because of time limitations - I don't usually have 1.5-2hr of the day to spend in there in one go, but I do have half-hours here and there - and my gym is my garage. The only strong reason to put 3+ exercises together in a single workout is convenience. If you're travelling to the gym, getting changed, etc, that all takes time.

There is some benefit to doing squats and then being thoroughly warmed up for cleans, and that sort of thing. But I don't believe the benefit is huge, and you can argue the benefit of being fresh for each excercise is greater.

Cool. Thanks Kyle.

The shorter AM/PM sessions are more schedule-friendly than getting to the gym at 6 every morning and slugging it out for two hours, for sure.

Seems to me like there's nothing wrong with it if that's what's convenient for you. But, if you're not doing straight SS - and it looks like you're not - maybe an upper/lower split might work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Seems to me like there's nothing wrong with it if that's what's convenient for you. But, if you're not doing straight SS - and it looks like you're not - maybe an upper/lower split might work better.
    What would something like that look like? I have a plan for the next 3 weeks but after that I'm looking to start something new.

Thanks.

I bench and squat one day and press and deadlift the other. Splitting that up isn't complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    What would something like that look like? I have a plan for the next 3 weeks but after that I'm looking to start something new.

Thanks.
    I'm doing 5/3/1 right now. Practical Programming has lots of templates. And there are dozens of us in the intermediate logs. DOZENS!

What does your current program look like?

If you have the time to do it splitting things up throughout the day has some definite benefits. My training is a little different than most people here because I don't directly train my upperbody (leg day er day) and I do a lot more explosive and elastic CNS stuff. If you do split your training up I find that the first session "stimulates" the next one and you don't come in to the next one feeling cold. That first session doesn't need to be anything serious either. You could just take your dog out and run around a little. Right now I think people need to do a lot more moving in the sub-max range and I'd put gaited movement at the top of the list. We're animals not vegetables.

starting strength coach development program
    I often do two sessions in a day, because they fit better around my day and my constraints.
    I usually pair a main lift in the morning with an accessory (like, squat + chins), and will have a 'noisy' exercise (olys or deadlift) in the evening. I train on my terrace in a small condo, so banging my feet on the platform at 7am would not make myself popular with the neighbours. In the evening, when everyone is awake and the traffic is loud, is less of a nuisance.
    The only thing I try to avoid is doing two pressing movements in the same day. For example, I don't Jerk the same day that I have pressed or dipped.

The only drawback is that sometimes I am a bit sore in the morning, as my body has probably not yet recovered from the previous evening session.

IPB
    Last edited by IlPrincipeBrutto; 03-18-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast