starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coaches,

some time ago Tom had tried to fix my squat imbalance. Well that has worked (i think). However, i added a bit of weight during the last months. But somehow they look like squat mornings now. And are propably not deep enough. Besides that i am too stupid to count to 5 (I will try to fix that too). Any comments are appreciated.

Yep, those are some distinctly strange looking squats. Firstly, note your start position. You are in lumbar overextension and hip flexion. Stand up normally, or at least as normally as you can with a bar on your back. Fixing that position is going to help a bunch of things. Secondly, keep the bar in a slot over the middle of your foot. It drifts forward in an arc as you continue to overdo the "lean over" idea. Watch Comrade Wolf squatting below. Note his start position. It is a lot closer to a normal posture than yours. He doesn't let the bar drift around. Emulate Comrade Wolf:

Also, get deeper.

i think that i meant i have a problem to feel my pelvic tilt during a squat

for some reason my first reply is gone... is there any clue to lock the back in extension? For some reason i can tighten my trunk as hard as possible and nevertheless i can move my pelvic without resistance.

unfortunately i was sick last week (nothing serious) so i did a deload and tried to implement your corrections. I see some bar path issues in the bottom, is that because i loose tightness in my upper back?
    What do you think, am i on the right track?:

best regards and thank you very much!

Your back is still in overextension and almost every problem in your squat can be traced back to that. Your back isn't rounding. You are arching it too much. Stand up normally at the top. You are pushing your butt way back and leaning over even at the top. Widen your stance a little and keep your knees driven out hard..

Ok i tried to widen my stance a bit and concentrated on a flat back.
    Felt strange and looks strange

best regards and thank you very much trying to help me

Those actually looked okay. I think you are overdoing the leaning over part a little, but those look a lot less strange that your previous attempts. Let your knees come a little further forward in the first half of the squat. This will make your torso slightly more upright. Keep everything else as it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you very much Tom.
    Should i post another vid, or squat for a while and maybe do a recheck in 20-40kg? Maybe i can attend the next seminar in Europe (if there will be another).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast