starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age 42 - Starting Strength

Default Age 42 - Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Coach,

I'm age 42 and have been doing Starting Strength for about 3 weeks. Some quick notes on my backstory:

-While I was athletic in college and my late 20's, early 30s, it's basically been over a decade since I did any exercise more serious than walking, hiking, and schlepping my luggage through airports on business trips.

-I'm a fairly large-framed guy. Played football and rugby. 6' tall. 9" wrists.

-I've dropped 8 pounds of scale weight since beginning Starting Strength. Currently weigh 255.

-My lower back pain is 90% gone since Starting Strength.

-Shoulder pain on 'computer bag side' (right shoulder) is gone

-I feel and look taller due to improved posture

-I have a butt now instead of pancake ass

-My strength was atrophying, now it's increasing. Tearing up cardboard boxes for recycling on garbage day was getting harder. Now it's easier.

-My sexual performance has increased significantly.

-I can carry my wife again in the classic 'just got married, carry you across the doorstep' position, which she loves.

So first of all, let me thank you for creating a foundation of training that has allowed me to regain some of my youth and no longer feel as though I was doomed to a cycle of physical erosion on the way to becoming an invalid.

Thank you. And my wife thanks you, too.

However, I do have a few questions:

-I'm finding the 48 hour recovery time between workouts challenging. So far, when I've had 72 hours of recovery (e.g. Fri workout, then a Monday workout) I seem to progress much better than when I've had 48 hours (which can leave me a little fried).

Would this be expected for the over-40 crowd, or is this more of an issue of me being an untrained deconditioned novice?

-My whole posterior chain, while a lot better than it was, is still far weaker than my upper body strength (I bench more than I deadlift right now, although I haven't really pushed the limit on the deadlift). Blame a decade of desk jockey office work.

Would it make sense to do extra deadlift training to rebuild my posterior so it's not such a liability and unbalanced? If so, what should I swap out temporarily?

-I've been using a rowing machine ergometer as my cardio on the thesis that it is a whole body workout, emphasizes many of the same muscles as the core lifts, and thus might build upon the strength training. I also hate the exercise bike and am too heavy to run.

Do you see any problem with rowing machine cario coupled with the core lifts?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by watchnerd View Post
    However, I do have a few questions:

-I'm finding the 48 hour recovery time between workouts challenging. So far, when I've had 72 hours of recovery (e.g. Fri workout, then a Monday workout) I seem to progress much better than when I've had 48 hours (which can leave me a little fried).

Would this be expected for the over-40 crowd, or is this more of an issue of me being an untrained deconditioned novice?
    It's a function of the age. Just adjust your training to 72-hour intervals. And investigate testosterone supplementation.

-My whole posterior chain, while a lot better than it was, is still far weaker than my upper body strength (I bench more than I deadlift right now, although I haven't really pushed the limit on the deadlift). Blame a decade of desk jockey office work.

Would it make sense to do extra deadlift training to rebuild my posterior so it's not such a liability and unbalanced? If so, what should I swap out temporarily?
    No, just stick with the standard increase interval. Remember your first question?

-I've been using a rowing machine ergometer as my cardio on the thesis that it is a whole body workout, emphasizes many of the same muscles as the core lifts, and thus might build upon the strength training. I also hate the exercise bike and am too heavy to run.

Do you see any problem with rowing machine cario coupled with the core lifts?
    Cardio of any type will not compliment strength training. You may be able to tolerate it (see your first question again) but it will not aid in strength acquisition, for reasons discussed in PPST2.

It could also be his nutrition. I'm also 42 and have found when I don't eat smart (i.e. clean carbs, a lot of protein and some good fats) then I am not going to recover in time. I also found it extremely helpful to use a whirlpool tub to help recover. Not everyday but definitely two to three times a week when the weights got heavy. I also took off a week every 8 weeks with a small deload (10 - 20 lbs) when I started again. He may want to consider 5lb increases as his standard for linear progression. I think this helped prolong my ability to use linear programming.

His mileage may vary but being smarter is a necessity for us over 40.

I started at 41 and made the exact same mistake. Dont do it. Plenty of time to work it back in later.

OP, I started Starting Stength at 43. The biggest difference for us at our age is we will not run LP as long, due to our inability to recover. Adjustments made that allow full recovery between workouts will promote LP for a longer period of time.

In the end, when LP has run its course for you, a program that allows for longer periods off recovery between training sessions will ultimately serve your needs. Taking a back of day on Wendesday, meaning squatting 80% of Mondays weight will likely stretch out the program for you another few weeks.

I found that doing something like going for an easy bike ride on off days didn't have any noticeable negative effects on recovery, but when I pushed it and came back tired and sweaty, it was detrimental to the next workout. (I'm 41)

I started SS in January and I'm 44. I second the recommendation on testosterone supplementation. I went to the doc for my physical and he checked my T-Score, around 250 IIRC, so he prescribed Androgel. Three months later my T-Score is around 925, a bit on the high side but nothing serious according to him. For training, I have been able to gain strength and recover well. I'm finding a 2 - 3 day window for recovery is optimal. Best of luck!

Coach, why would you suggest investigating Testosterone supplementation , over just sitting back and seeing if strength training will raise T level by itself.

Because for most guys at 42, it won't raise it enough to have the effect that TRT has. But it's certainly his choice.

starting strength coach development program
    OP, I understand your situation and I have been there myself. I began Starting Strength when I was 48 and burned out after 6 weeks on the standard 3 days per week LP. I attended the SS seminar a few months later and received advice from Rip to lift 2 days per week and push the prowler 1 day per week. That worked for me and resulted in my posting the following numbers at the Rippetoe Invitational last Nov: Squat 360, Press 165, Deadlift 385 at a BW of 194 and 5'9". Rip scolded me for not trying more weight. The numbers are nothing big in the scheme of things but I was happy, and it's not bad for a 49 yr old novice. Anyway, here is where it gets interesting and will possibly prompt a lashing from Rip. After the meet, I tried a power clean max in my home gym and got a PR of 90Kg (198). I decided to embark on a Olympic Weightlifting program since my strength was up and I like the sport. I began training the snatch, clean & jerk, front squat, and back squat exclusively in Dec as an experiment compared to my gains through starting strength and overall fitness level. I have been training this way 4-5 days per week.

As of today, my numbers are as follows: Snatch 70 Kg (154lbs), Clean & Jerk 87.5 Kg (192 lbs), Front Squat 100 Kg (220 lbs), High Bar Back Squat 125 kg (275 lbs). That's a 5 kg PR for the snatch, and every thing else is down. I tried a press the other day and struggled with 110 lbs for 3 reps and a low bar back squat of 286 lbs almost killed me (numbers that used to be warm-ups before). My knees hurt almost everyday and I have lost 9 lbs since the contest in Nov: 194 down to 185.

The high frequency of lifting (4-5 days vs 2-3) has alot to do with this, which is why I am telling the story along with eliminating the deadlift and press. I am more flexible than before, but weak. The high bar squat helped fix a elbow problem I had, but gave me knee pain.

The bottom line is follow the program, adjust frequency based on recovery needs (more for us older guys) and don'y worry too much about the cardiovascular training. When the standard LP has run it's course using 2 days per week or every 72 hours, do what Mac Ward suggested and try an intermediate type program using a backoff day mid week.

I'll get back on the SS train soon to get my strength back and try my O-lifts periodically when I feel the desire. Experiment over

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast