starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old myths

Default Old myths

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just when you think that the opinions on strength training have changed a coach at the pro level says something like this:

"'I don't want you getting too jacked-up, Colin.' I want some speed, quickness, not just (flexing chest his muscles)."
    This isn't quite like the old days when Vince Lombardi and other coaches would warn players not to lift weights in the offseason. Harbaugh just wants Kaepernick to work on flexibility more than flexing."

Link to story:
    http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap10000001529...n-weight-room/

I guess those old myths about strength training just don't die.

Not when Professionals refuse to educate themselves past mythology.

Doesn't it just suck when you get so strong that you are too powerful to play a strength sport? That's the last thing you want!

We can't tell from the article, and it could be that Harbaugh is guilty of old school prejudices, but is there anything to the possibility that excess upper body muscle mass might reduce arm speed for purposes of the throwing motion?

I am embarrassed for you. Postulate a mechanism.

Im working in a high school weight room right now and I'm amazed by the logic of the coaches. Track and field; don't do legs. Baseball; don't do upper body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Air/wind resistance of a larger surface area appendage moving through space. This is why I only wear tight Under Armour shirts, better aerodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    clearly if one benches too much weight they're going to become a hulking mass and lose all flexibility in their shoulders

why do think baseball pitchers don't do overhead work Rip...come on

its not like weightlifters have great overhead strength along with great mobility or anything...you don't have to have great shoulder flexibility to do a snatch

*sarcasm off*

Jim Harbaugh was a QB in the NFL not that long ago and very few of those guys look like they worked really hard at getting stronger.

Not only would increased strength be a factor in Kapernick's throwing, but the guy is an explosive runner. He also might want some extra strength from those hits he's going to take outside the pocket.

One QB that swore by squats was Vinny Testaverde. Supposedly the guy was squatting 500+ (which seems reasonable to me for an elite athlete) and was competing with a lot of the lineman in the weight room. He gives credit to squatting for his longevity playing in the NFL (played into his early 40s).

starting strength coach development program
    I think Bo Jackson is a great argument against those who says being too muscular is an issue. He was 230lbs, lean and it came natural as he rarely lifted according to his own bio. He didn't make it to the NFL and MLB in spite of those natural gifts. BO knows..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast