starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another shoes thread

Default Another shoes thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've read all the other shoe threads on this forum (and several others) and am still undecided on shoes. I've always lifted in chucks until now, and have never felt 100% solid about my footing/knee positions (feels like my form is slightly different every workout).

It's basically down to three contenders for me:

The rogue rips: Out of stock in my size of course, so we will call these the "Long Wait" shoes. $115

The Ristos (the new "Linea Blanca" shoe). The expensive ones. $140

The Wei Rui shoe from maxbarbell. Somewhat unknown commodity, but the early reviews are favorable. Also the cheapest, and won't be in stock until late July. $85

The things I'm most concerned about are, in order:

1) Overall quality/durability. I'd like to have these shoes for a long time.
    2) Price
    3) Heel height, toe box width, and other individual peculiarities of the shoes.

Anyone used any of these shoes and want to comment?

I think you are overthinking this.

I have the Rogue Rips and they're good. WL shoes make a huge difference. A couple of my friends have the Rogue Do-Wins and really like them.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Rogue Rips or the Rogue Weightlifting Shoes.

Also, check out the Pendlay shoes. They look really good.

http://www.pendlay.com/Weightlifting-Shoes_c_167.html

The Rips are the only shoe I know of that has the .5" heel height. The Rogues and the Pendlays have .75" heel heights.

If it helps, I really enjoy the 2011 Pendlay Classics. I was actually able to try them on before purchasing, which was awesome. The half-size-down is highly recommended, and they fit a wide foot nicely. They're nice and sturdy as well. I haven't noticed any flaws in them yet, and I have yet to see how will hold up. I've had them since March, but they don't seem like they'd break down any time soon.

The Rogue Do-wins and the Pendlays are very similar shoes. I've owned both and they are nice. Just get some shoes. They are not going to last a lifetime, or probably more than a year and a half or two years. By that time, they'll probably start to smell.

Quote Originally Posted by jackthestrat View Post
    I think you are overthinking this.
    Oh yeah, I definitely am.

As far as the Dowins (Rogue and Pendlay), I'm trying to avoid the chinese stuff due to lots of reports of manufacturing inconsistency and lack of durability. The Wei Rui's are apparently made in the Adidas factory and seem to have better quality materials than the other chinese stuff.

I too used Chucks for quite awhile and wondered if making the change to WL shoes was worth it. I finally bought a pair or Rips and the first time I used them I was convinced it was the right move. I should have done it sooner. I still use the Chucks on light days, but on Volume and Intensity days the WL shoes are so much better. They really keep your feet planted; no give at all. Get some WL shoes. You won't regret it.

you can wait for the rips but you'll be waiting forever

i got the 0.75 inch heel pendlay 2011s in suede and they broke in in 2 sessions. they are ultra sturdy and there are no defects with my shoe. i also like them because they fit my wide feet at the bottom. my squat form is still toast from the introduction of the heel but i'll adapt

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    you're worried about chinese factories, but third world slave labor from adidas is fine? strange logic is strange.
    It's not an ethical issue for me, I just don't want my shoes falling apart. And I've heard more negative anecdotes about the chinese-made shoes.

Thanks for stopping into the thread to insult me.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been lifting in Do-wins for a few years. I haven't had any problems with them falling apart. I have heard several complaints of (older model) Adidas falling apart. I am not an apologist for Do-wins, but you really will be fine no matter what you choose. WL shoes are not a liftetime purchase, nor are any other shoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast